The Gosh! Authority 12.09.18
In case you missed it, we've got an absolute killer of a triple signing coming up on Monday 24th September in association with the amazing Thought Bubble festival: Leslie Hung (Snotgirl), Greg Rucka (Lazarus) and Brian Stelfreeze (Black Panther) will all be here from 6-7pm to sign, chat, and generally impress! Don't miss this amazing opportunity to meet an incredible trio. More details here.
Fans of the Booker Prize longlisted graphic novel Sabrina shouldn't miss our reading group this month. Nick Drnaso's acclaimed book is under the miscroscope, and there's sure to be some lively discussion of its merits and eligibility. Alll are welcome this Wednesday the 12th from 7pm! More details here.
Then on Thursday we have the launch party for the new SelfMadeHero anthology title I Feel Machine. This collection of technological cautionary tales is the brainchild of Julian Hanshaw and Krent Able, who will both be on hand to press the flesh and put ink to paper! More details here (and more details on the book below).
Last week saw the launch of Hear Ye See Ye, the new anthology zine from Peapod Press, masterminded by Rosie Brand of Wizard and Soft Pig fame. It was a lovely old night, with original pages of art festooned about the store, and we still have some copies of the excellent anthology if you'd like one!
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
BERLIN HC & BOOK THREE SC
Writer / Artist: Jason Lutes
Publisher: Drawn & Quarterly
The wait is over! Twenty years in the making, the end of Berlin is here, and Drawn and Quarterly have pulled out all the stops with both the third and final softcover collection and a deluxe, exquisitely bound bumper hardcover edition. If you haven't ever read Jason Lute's historical epic of the last days of the Weimar Republic, there's no time like the present. This book comes with our highest possible recommendation, a graphic novel in the best sense of the term. And if you're just picking up the third volume to finish, well, you hardly need our recommendation, do you?
For those of you who do wish to stump for the hardcover, we've a special treat: a signed, limited bookplate with an exclusive piece of art Jason has done for us. You can find a copy in-store or online.
Try it if you like: Maus / From Hell / It's A Good Life If You Don't Weaken
WOMAN WORLD GN
Writer / Artist: Aminder Dhaliwal
Publisher: Drawn & Quarterly
It's another bookplate-worthy D&Q title this week in the form of a collection of Aminder Dhaliwal's immensely popular web comic. It's an often pointed, hilarious imagining of a world where all men have been wiped out by a birth defect. Dhaliwal's strips veer from the the sublime to the ridiculous, with a sharp wit that skewers the societal mores of men and women alike.
And we're chuffed to have this great signed, limited edition bookplate from Aminder! Get it while it lasts in store or online.
Try it if you like: Kate Beaton / Liz Prince / Tom Gauld
I FEEL MACHINE GN
Writer / Artist: Various
An anthology of technological tales by an absolutely stellar line up of creators, put together the talented duo of Julian Hanshaw and Krent Able. In addition to their own tales, Julian and Krent have enlisted the help of Box Brown, Tillie Walden, Shaun Tan and Erik Svetoft to spin short stories about the perils and promise of technology.
Try it if you like: Black Mirror / The Twilight Zone / Transmetropolitan
CEMETERY BEACH #1 (OF 7)
Artist: Jason Howard
The team behind Trees - probably one of the best works of Ellis' storied career so far - reunite for something completely different to the stately pace of that series. Cemetary Beach is like a shot of adrenalin, a non-stop action thriller as an unlikely pair stage a breakout from an offworld colony filled with murderous lunatics, their goal an extraction point that they must reach by foot across the sprawling terrain. Should be good fun!
Try it if you like: Red / Sin City / Secret Avengers
CRIMINY TP VOL 01
Writer: Roger Langridge, Ryan Ferrier
Artist: Roger Langridge
Publisher: Dark Horse
Gosh favourite Langridge teams up with D4VE creator Ferrier for this crazy tale of a family on the run. Driven from their home by pirates, the Criminy family are forced from one crazy location to the next as they try to escape their pursuers and find somewhere they can make a new, peaceful life. Full of Roger's usual anarchic humour and flawless draftsmanship, it's a treat for all ages.
Try it if you like: Snarked / Looney Tunes / Gullivers Travels
HOUSE OF WHISPERS #1
Writer: Nalo Hopkinson
Artist: Dominike "Domo" Stanton
Hopkinson and Stanton introduce us to a new house in the realm of Dream: the House of Dahomey, the houseboat of Erzulie Fréda. It's the dreamplace of voodoo, a place where the sleeping practitioners of that religion can beseech their goddess for favour. From her seat, Erzulie spies on the waking realm, and uncovers a group of four girls who may unwittingly about to summon Erzulie's cousin Sopona, the loa lord of infectious disease. Banned from the earthly realm, Sopona would unleash a pandemic unlike any ever seen. The Vertigo relaunch of the Sandman Universe continues!
Try it if you like: The Dreaming / Sandman / Niobe She Is Life
Writer: Joe Casey
Artist: Ian MacEwan
It's 1975, and Manhattan cabbie Pamela Evans is more than she seems. With her enchanted tire iron in hand, Pamela takes the fight to the monsters that wage a war against the inhabitants of her city. Casey promises a new mythology, and given his track record he's certainly a man who can deliver. Prophet and Sex artist MacEwan definitely delivers on the visuals, bringing all the grit and danger of the city in that year to vivid life.
Try it if you like: Mage / Buffy / Kick Ass
LOW ROAD WEST #1 (OF 5)
Writer: Philip Kennedy Johnson
A post-apocalyptic tale of five teens trying to escape the cataclysm that threatens to consume them. When a nuclear first strike destroys their home on the East coast, the five are shuttled toward safety across the country. But when the shuttle breaks down halfway through its journey, they are forced to take shelter in a town that lies just ahead. But as they get closer, things get weirder, and reality itself begins to unravel.
Try it if you like: Twin Peaks / Dragon Head / Runaways
ALSO OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- AGE OF BRONZE TP VOL 01 (NEW EDITION) - All new colour editions of Eric Shanower's terrific telling of the Trojan war, hopefully meaning we're going to get more actual issues!
- ANTHONY BOURDAINS HUNGRY GHOSTS HC - The late chef's final foray into comics, courtesy of Berger Books.
- ARCHIE 1941 #1 (OF 5) - It's Archie on the eve of the US entry into WWII, and the Riverdale teens have to grapple with the crisis facing the world, and the dilemma of whether or not they should enlist.
- DRY COUNTY COMPLETE TP - Collecting Rich Tommaso's 90's detective story introducing his new sleuth character Lou Rossi.
- FAKE BLOOD GN - Whitney Gardner's YA graphic novel, spotlighting the dangers of pretending to be a vampire while wooing a vampire slayer.
- THE GHOST SCRIPT HC - The latest work from the legendary Jules Feiffer.
- ICEMAN #1 (OF 5) - Sina Grace & Nathan Stockman take on the icy X-man.
- JOE GOLEM #1 (OF 5) THE DROWNING CITY - A new mini-series starring Christopher Golden and Mike Mignola's pulp detective.
- KICK-ASS NEW GIRL TP VOL 01 - The first collection of the Patience Lee era of Mark Millar & John Romita Jr's vigilante series.
- MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 #1 - The cult show comes to comics, taking on the craziness of public domain classics.
- OBLIVION SONG BY KIRKMAN & DE FELICI TP VOL 01 - The first collection of Robert Kirkman and Lorenzo De Felici's dimension-hopping sci-fi saga.
- STAR WARS TP THRAWN - Adapting Timothy Zahn's novel exploring the early years of his most enduring creation.
- STRANGERS IN PARADISE XXV TP VOL 01 - Terry Moore returns to the series that made his name, and shows he still has the chops that made Katchoo and the gang so popular in their heyday.
- YRAGAEL URM THE MADMAN HC - Cosmic Druillet madness, written by acclaimed sci-fi author Michel Demuth.
And that's the lot for this week, people! See you next time!