The Gosh! Authority 08.08.18
This week sees the launch party for Isabel and Imogen Greenberg's latest collaboration Athena: The Story of a Goddess! It's a picturebook retelling of the adventures of the Greek goddess, presented in a lovely hardcover format, and the Greenberg sisters will be here on Thursday, August 9th, 7-9pm to sign YOUR copy! More details here.
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
SANDMAN UNIVERSE #1
Writer: Si Spurrier, Nalo Hopkinson, Kat Howard, Dan Watters
Artist: Bilquis Evely, Dominike "Domo" Stanton, Tom Fowler, Max Fiumara, Sebastian Fiumara
Time to revisit some old friends! Vertigo are going back to the Sandman well, and doing it in style with this kick-off to a new wave of Dream-related titles, plotted by Neil Gaiman. With a roster of writers and artists that are tackling the new titles (The Dreaming, House of Whispers, Books of Magic and Lucifer), this is the jumping on point for old fans and new readers alike. After a book goes missing from Lucien's library, he sends Matthew the raven out across worlds to find their master Daniel, the Lord of Dreams. And we've gone heavy on the McKean cover, for added authenticity!
Try it if you like: Sandman / Lucifer / The Golden Age of Vertigo
FANTASTIC FOUR #1
Writer: Dan Slott
Artist: Sara Pichelli, Skottie Young, Simone Bianchi
After a years-long absence that almost certainly has nothing to do with behind-the-scenes pettiness over film rights issues, the first family of the Marvel universe are back! And to be honest, after that absence this is a relaunch that actually feels like a bit of an event rather than a cheap cash-in. Dan Slott and Sara Pichelli take the reins, with bonus stories illustrated by Simone Bianchi (Dr Doom) and Skottie Young (The Impossible Man). Don't expect the Richards family to be jumping off the page this issue, though: this issue is about the state of the MU without them, and lays the groundwork for what's to come.
Try it if you like: The Marvel Universe!
Writer / Artist: Jim Woodring
A bit late to our shores thanks to distribution shenanigans, but better late than never, and you know it's still going to be one of the best books you read this year! If you are uninitiated, just know that the tales of Frank, Manhog, Pupshaw and Pushpaw and the other denizens of Woodring's surreal dreamworld will offer you the sweetest taste of existential dread you will ever know. Woodring is one of the great treasures of comics, a unique genius whose work deserves a greater audience, starting with you.
Try it if you like: Frank / Salvidor Dali / Last Look
BLACK BADGE #1
Writer: Matt Kindt
Artist: Tyler Jenkins
The creative team behind Grass Kings are back together for this new ongoing series about a troop of black-op boy scouts! Sounds like a recipe for a silly parody, but it's actually played straight, incorporating humour into the narrative, but using its child's-eye view of the world of covert warfare and espionage to bring some serious dramatic weight, as well as deliver some genuinely exciting action beats. With a likeable, interesting central cast, and a globe-trotting, politically charged narrative, this looks like a terrific read.
Try it if you like: James Bond / Mind MGMT / Juice Squeezers
HEY KIDS COMICS #1
Writer / Artist: Howard Chaykin
Chaykin brings his acidic humour and personal experience from his days as art assistant to some of the industry greats to this fictionalised history of the comics industry. It's a story of flim flammery, gangsters, sweatshops and conmen that is all absolutely true, except for the parts that aren't. Mind you, any casual reading of the origins of the modern industry will show you that truth is stranger than fiction, so probably not a lot of embellishment required! Definitely a concept that plays to Chaykin's strengths, though.
Try it if you like: The Dreamer / Marvel Comics The Untold Story / American Flagg
HOT LUNCH SPECIAL #1
Writer: Eliot Rahal
Artist: Jorge Fornes
A Lebanese immigrant family, the Khourys, have become the classic American success story, building themselves into the largest vending machine sandwich distributor in the Midwest. But there is a dark secret at the heart of their success, and a branch of the Chicago Irish mob have come to collect on the debt that is owed to them. After a bloody attack, Dorothy Khoury, the eldest daughter, must unite her squabbling family and fight back.
Try it if you like: Road to Perdition / History of Violence / 100 Bullets
ALSO OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- ART OF METAL GEAR SOLID I-IV HC - A deluxe, 2-volume slipcase showcasing the design work on the first four titles of one of the most iconic games series ever made.
- DEADMAN TP - Collecting the mini-series, with Neal Adams returning to one of his signature characters!
- BLOOM COUNTY BEST READ THRONE TP - The latest collection of Berk Breathed's ever-popular strip.
- LOOK BACK & LAUGH TP - A collection of daily strips by Liz Prince, chronicling one of her toughest, most challenging years through all its highs and lows.
- LOVE LETTERS TO JANES WORLD GN - Paige Braddock's pioneering newspaper strip about young lesbian Jane Wyatt gets a collection of its best strips, along with a selection of love letters written by fans.
- LUMBERJANES COLORING BOOK TP - Pretty much what it says on the label, except maybe we'd say "colouring" for good cultural form.
- LUMBERJANES MIDSUMMER NIGHTS SCHEME #1 - A Midsummer Masquerade one-shot by Nicole Andelfinger, Maddi Gonzalez & Brittney Williams. The question of a couples costume throws Mal and Molly's relationship into disarray!
- TRENT GN -Star Burns himself, Dino Stamatopoulos, pens a story of love, loss and music, drawn by Leah Tiscione.
- VON HOFFMANS INVASION TP VOL 01 - Rebellion's Treasury of British Comics imprint summons up a bonkers classic from the pages of Buster and Jet. Mad Nazi scientist Von Hoffman is released from prison, and proceeds to unleash a plague of giant animal menaces on an unsuspecting British public.
And that's all folks!