The Gosh! Authority 29.08.18
The usual Bank Holiday weekend reminder that this week's new releases (for Wednesday the 29th) will only be arriving on the day they go out. So keep an eye on our social media, where we'll make an announcement as soon as the books are on the shelf.
In more fun news Wednesday evening we'll have John Allison and Non Pratt both here, in discussion from 7.30-9pm! Come on down and get some insight into what makes Non Pratt's Giant Day adaptation tick! Details here.
Thursday night it’s time once again for our monthly Drink & Draw with our friends at Broken Frontier! This time out we have special guests Luke Healy, Miranda Smart, and Becky Palmer! Hosted by our own Nora Goldberg and Broken Frontier’s head honcho Andy Oliver, the evening will provide an opportunity for attendees to find their artistic muse in a relaxed and informal atmosphere. With such a great group of creators, you certainly won’t be in want of inspiration. Things kick off at Gosh! at 6.30pm with an opportunity to buy work from the featured artists at a discounted price before heading to the evening’s location of choice, friendly, local pub the Kings Arms to begin our drinking and drawing! Follow the event on Facebook for more details.
Our first September event, taking place Thursday, September 6th, 7-9pm, will see Rosie Brand, creator of Wizard & Soft Pig, joining us here with a host of contributors to Hear Ye See Ye, her new anthology produced in association with Friends in the Dungeon and Peapod.press!
This is our last week bagging standing order comics as standard. We have been making a bit of noise about it wherever we can, but in case you missed it, we're going to be changing our S/O bagging policy. The short version is that we're going to be stopping bagging standing orders individually by default, but you can still opt into having yours bagged without any disruption of service if you let us know by the 31st August. The service change starts from the 5th September, and you can opt in and out of a bagged service as you wish thereafter! For the long version and our explanation of why we're making the change, have a look over here.
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
COYOTE DOGGIRL HC
Writer/Artist: Lisa Hanawalt
Publisher: Drawn & Quarterly
Perhaps most commonly known now for her excellent work on the smash hit animated Netflix series BoJack Horseman, Coyote Doggirl is creator Lisa Hanawalt return to comics. Paying homage to and lampooning classic western genre tropes Hanawalt's work here is a self-aware, playful subversive. As our fallible hero attempts to understand the culture of the wolves, we see a journey in understanding and misunderstanding, adopting and co-opting. Uncomfortable at times but nonetheless rewarding and empowering, the story of these flawed, anthropomorphized characters is nothing if not relentlessly hilarious and heartbreakingly human. Told in Hanawalt’s technicolour absurdist style, Coyote Doggirl is not just a send-up of the western genre, but a deeply personal story told by an enormously talented cartoonist.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE: BOJACK HORSEMAN / JILLIAN TAMAKI / MICHAEL DEFORGE
NEW GODS BY JACK KIRBY TP
Writer: Jack Kirby
Artist: Jack Kirby, Vince Colletta, D. Bruce Berry, Greg Theakston, Don Heck & Mike Royer
Finally! DC at long last collects New Gods, the centrepiece and perhaps masterpiece of Jack Kirby's magnum opus Fourth World saga! This softcover collection introduces the sprawling cast from the twin worlds of New Genesis and Apokolips, including Darkseid, Orion, Highfather, Lightray and many more! This tome includes the full eleven issues of New Gods, plus the 48-page story Even Gods Must Die and the original 1985 graphic novel The Hunger Dogs. If you've been reading the recent Mister Miracle series this is more than worth a read.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE: JACK KIRBY / MISTER MIRACLE / YOUNG ANIMAL
SCARLET #1 (OF 5)
Writer: Brian Michael Bendis
Artist: Alex Maleev
From Bendis and Maleev, the creative team behind one of Marvels best and most loved runs on Daredevil comes the next explosive chapter in their creator-owned epic, Scarlett. Titular character Scarlett is a woman whose life has been ripped apart by police corruption but her actions as she pushes back starts a chain reaction of events that will bring about the next American Revolution. Fully painted by Eisner Award-winning artist Alex Maleev, this brand-new, new reader-friendly chapter is perhaps the most beautifully brutal to date.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE: SHERIFF OF BABYLON / SCALPED / JESSICA JONES
FEMME MAGNIFIQUE TP
Writer: Gail Simone, Gerard Way, Kelly Sue DeConnick & others.
Artist: Bill Sienkiewicz, Jill Thompson, Gilbert Hernandez & others.
Publisher: IDW/Black Crown
Gathering creators from South Africa, India, England, Denmark and America together to share stories of personal heroines Kate Bush, Octavia Butler, Rumiko Takahashi, Ada Lovelace, Misty Copeland, Margaret Sanger, Michelle Obama, Sally Ride, Harriet Tubman, and more! Femme Magnifique features three-page short stories about women from the arenas of pop music, politics, art, and science. From astronauts and archaeologists to muckrakers and mathematicians, Femme Magnifique will stimulate and educate. One part mini biopic, one part personal inspiration, this collection also features new material including a foreword by Cindy Whitehead, behind-the-scenes process pages, and a few other delights besides. This is one of the most exciting projects to come out of the legendary editor, Shelly Bond's Black Crown imprint.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE: LOVE & ROCKETS / SHADE THE CHANGING GIRL / ANTHOLOGIES
HOUSE AMOK #1
Writer: Christopher Sebela
Artist: Shawn McManus
Publisher: IDW/Black Crown
Eisner-nominated writer Christopher Sebela is one of the hottest writers in comics right now. With two hit books at Image this year (Shanghai Red and Crowded, the latter having already been snapped up for a movie), plus the brilliant sci-fi series Cold War over at Aftershock. Now coming from the house that Shelly Bond built, Black Crown is, House Amok. Ten-year-old fraternal twin Dylan Sandifer and her family have fallen down a rabbit hole full of secret implants, conspiracy theories, Mandela effects, extradimensional invaders, and organ thieves. As the attacks against them intensify, the Sandifers light out on a cross-country search for answers and salvation, blazing a bloody path of torture, arson and murder.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE: LOCKE & KEY / PAPER GIRLS / X-FILES
FANG GN VOL 01
Writer/Artist: Marc Palm
Vampirism, lycanthropy, assassination, witchcraft, marijuana and perversion! The notorious hired monster-killer known as The Fang takes the night off to do some personal game hunting but reconsiders killing him after she's had a taste of his charms. After second guessing herself the next day during a messy hit, The Fang searches for wisdom in the mouthpiece of a bong. A gnarly story inspires her to take charge of the second date and quit once she's gotten ahead.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE: MEGAHEX / SHE WOLF / MY PRETTY VAMPIRE
DC LOONEY TUNES ONE SHOTS
Another round of offbeat one-shot comics from DC as some of there biggest characters come face to face with the oddball world of Looney Tunes. This week sees the release of - CATWOMAN TWEETY & SYLVESTER SPECIAL #1, HARLEY QUINN GOSSAMER SPECIAL #1, JOKER DAFFY DUCK SPECIAL #1 & LEX LUTHOR PORKY PIG SPECIAL #1 - Featuring a whole host of DC's top creators including the likes of Gail Simone, Jimmy Palmiotti, Brett Booth, Amanda Conner, Scott Lobdell and a lot more besides.
When DC did the first wave of these last year they went incredibly fast so if you'd like one saving please do drop us a line.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE: BATMAN ELMER FUDD / FUTURE QUEST / ELSEWORLDS
SNIPER ELITE RESISTANCE #1
Writer: Keith Richardson
Artist: Patrick Goddard & Eduard Groult
Based on the global bestselling Rebellion videogame, Sniper Elite: Resistance they are now expanding the series with this brand new adrenaline-fuelled three issue mini-series! Occupied France: Allied SOE hero Karl Fairburne parachutes into Angouleme in a bid to stop the shipment of a new German anti-aircraft weapon.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE: WAR STORIES / UBER / WORLD OF TANKS
ALSO OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- BLACK CLOUD SC VOL 02 - The long-awaited second instalment of Jason Latour, Ivan Brandon and Greg Hinkle's fan favourite sci-fi tale.
- DIE DIE DIE #2 - Issue two of Robert Kirkman and Chris Burnham's surprise new series. In the first issue, they cut off some guy's nose. Who knows what'll happen in this one?
- DINOSAUR EXPLORERS GN VOL 01 & 02 - Two volumes in one week of Papercutz latest all-ages adventure romp! Any Phoenix comics fans looking for something new may just have found it.
- DISNEY MASTERS HC VOL 04 - When Disney Legend Carl Barks stopped creating new Disney Duck tales in the early 1970s, Daan Jippes and Freddy Milton picked up right where Barks left off. Now, by popular demand, Fantagraphics collects Jippes and Milton's classic teams-ups!
- HUNT FOR WOLVERINE DEAD ENDS #1 - Charles Soule and Ramon Rosanas move all of the pieces into place as we built towards the Return of Wolverine.
- JUDAS TP - Emmy and WGA Award-nominated writer Jeff Loveness' exploration of the classical biblical character is perfect for fans of Preacher and The Goddamned.
- OSAMU TEZUKA FRONTISPIECE COLLECTION 1950-1970 SC - Most of the works here appear for the first time, about 600 works were selected out of 2,000 potential works of which precious original drawings exist. It is a book not only of high value as a record, but delightful for casual fans as well.
- RICK & MORTY VS DUNGEONS & DRAGONS #1 - The world's greatest role-playing game. Reality's most dysfunctional family. What could go wrong?
- SHIGERU MIZUKI YOKAI ARTBOOK COLLECTORS EDITION HC - This magnificent storyteller collected hundreds of yokai tales from Japan's endangered folklore tradition and depicted them as creepy but adorable yokai characters illustrated in vivid detail. Enjoy the ultimate encyclopedia of yokai in this gorgeous collectors edition.
- VENOM FIRST HOST #1 (OF 5) - Mike Costa and Mark Bagley reunite to tell the story of the first host of the symbiote. But with its return, the galaxy could well be in danger.
- WEB OF VENOM VE NAM #1 - Writer Donny Cates spins out of his own Venom series to tell a series of self-contained Venom stories. First up the symbiote must survive the jungles of Vietnam
- X-MEN GRAND DESIGN SECOND GENESIS #2 - The second book in Ed Piskor's love letter to the X-Men comes to an end this week as he looks at the Dark Phoenix Saga.
That's all for another week.