The Gosh! Authority 27.06.18
We're going to get this out nice and early to remind you as far in advance as possible that the one and only Jim Broadbent and his talented collaborator Dix will be here on Tuesday evening from 7.30-9pm in conversation with Paul Gravett to discuss their graphic novel Dull Margaret! No tickets required, just come along.
We'll have a special early release of the book, which also includes an exclusive bookplate signed by both gents! More details here.
Then on Thursday we've got John Harris Dunning and Michael Kennedy in to toast their new mind-bending psychological thriller from SelfMadeHero: Tumult. Details here.
And finally on Friday we're celebrating the Spring release of the curated independent comics box Shortbox! We'll have the full range of titles available in-store, and will be joined by two of the creators, Lottie Pencheon and Joe Sparrow! Details here.
We had our special ELCAF edition of Drink and Draw last Tuesday in association with the good folks of Broken Frontier. A terrific turnout as usual, with very special ELCAF exhibitor guests Xiao Mei, Laurel Pettitt and Jens K Styve offering inspiration to our budding, boozing artists!
And then last Friday we celebrated the launch of Jim Whalley and Stephen Collins' lovely new Bloomsbury picture book Baby's First Bank Heist. We stormed through copies of the book, but we still have a stack of signed paperbacks which can be ordered for mail order or collection here.
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
LAAB MAGAZINE #0: DARK MATTER
Artist: Ronald Wimberley
Publisher: Beehive Books
We've got very limited stocks of this amazing Kickstarter project, the brainchild of writer and artist Ronald Wimberley. A broadsheet newspaper made up of 3 sections, LAAB is intended as an annual review full of comics, criticism, interviews, artwork, and writing on Black identity and popular culture. This first issue focuses on mythological blackness, and black bodies in science fiction. It's a unique, important project, and is a dman good read to boot. Get 'em quick, because once they're gone, they're gone for good!
Try it if you like: Black History in its Own Words / Ta Nehisi Coates / Prince of Cats
MULTIPLE MAN #1 (OF 5)
Writer: Matthew Rosenberg
Artist: Andy MacDonald
Cult favourite writer (and one of Marvel's best burgeoning stars) Matthew Rosenberg takes on the cult favourite character that was so memorable in Peter David's X-Factor run. Joined by artist McDonald, Rosenberg is a perfect fit for Jamie Madrox's mix of dry wit and pathos, and the character is just enough off the beaten track that the team should have the freedom to play around a little outside the norms of the genre. Looking forward to it!
Try it if you like: Fraction's Hawkeye / X-Factor / 4 Kids Walk Into a Bank
MODERN FANTASY #1
Writer: Rafer Roberts
Artist: Kristen Gudsnuk
Publisher: Dark Horse
Valiant writer Roberts teams up with Henchgirl creator Gudsnuk for this new comedy fantasy series filled with quests, swords, magic and soul-destroying desk jobs! A ranger (office worker), reptilian wizard (drug dealer) and a Dwarf maiden (maiden) think life in the big city is touch enough, but it goes from dull to worse when they become embroiled in a dangerous mission to rescue their friend from nefarious criminals
Try it if you like: Rat Queens / Henchgirl / Archer & Armstrong
SHIBUYA GOLDFISH GN VOL 01
Writer/Artist: Hiroumi Aoi
So...uhh...don't know what to tell you here, really. A young man visits the ultra-trendy Shibuya area of Tokyo, which then finds itself under attack by giant flying, man-eating goldfish. And that's really all I need to tell you for you to know if it's worth picking up or not! (The answer should be YES.)
Try it if you like: Gyo / Octopus Girl / Jaws, but...floating
THE PEN IS MIGHTIER (THAN THE WORD) SC
Writer/Artist: Martin Rowson
A collection of seven silent comics by legendary UK artist Rowson, steeped in his usual razor-sharp insight and caustic wit. From the fart of creation to the grotesqueries of meat processing, it's an often uncomfortable, always engaging collection of tales that aren't afraid to get angry.
Try it if you like: The Communist Manifesto / AARGH! / The System
SILENCE OF MALKA HC
Writer: Jorge Zentner
Artist: Ruben Pellejero
Winner of the 1999 Best Foreign Graphic Album award at the Angoulême International Comics Festival, this tale of a Jewish family's dramatic move from Russia to Argentina is inspired by a story told to Zentner by his grandmother. A sweeping and poignant story of Ashkenazi Jews fleeing the Russian pogroms at the end of the 19th Century, as well as a parable of the making of a modern society and the extent to which religion and mysticism meet.
Try it if you like: Adventures of Dieter Lumpen / The Arrival / The Golem
WAKANDA FOREVER AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1
Writer: Nnedi Okorafor
Artist: Alberto Alburquerque
Definitely one of the most popular aspects of the recent Black Panther movie was its take on the Dora Milaje, the royal guard of Wakanda. So popular, in fact, that Marvel are giving them their own mini-series, as they cross the Marvel universe teaming up with its biggest stars. It all kicks off here, as the Dora Milaje hit NYC with ol' webhead to track down a threat that menaces the well-being of Wakanda.
Try it if you like: Black Panther / World of Wakanda / Amazing Spider-Man
ALSO OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- 5 WORLDS GN VOL 02 THE COBALT PRINCE - The 2nd volume of the hot new fantasy series for kids. Definitely one for lovers of Amulet!
- BATMAN PRELUDE TO THE WEDDING HARLEY VS JOKER #1 - Harley and her creepy ex have a little exchange of views about the upcoming Bat/Cat nuptials.
- BEANWORLD OMNIBUS TP VOL 01 - The complete run of Larry Marder's classic comic in one sweet volume!
- BOMBSHELLS UNITED TP VOL 01 - The DC Bombshells are back!
- COMIC BOOK HISTORY OF COMICS TP COMICS FOR ALL - Fred van Lente & Ryan Dunlavey's excellent comics history series takes in the global perspective in this new collection, as well as continuing to spotlight the contributions of women to comics.
- COMPLETE THE KILLER TP - Luc Jacamon & Matz's hitman saga collected together in one volume at last!
- DARK NIGHTS METAL THE RESISTANCE TP - Collecting all the Metal tie-ins that ran through a number of DCU titles.
- EMPOWERED & SOLDIER OF LOVE TP - Collecting the mini-series plus the "Pew! Pew! Pew!" Empowered one-shot.
- FU JITSU TP VOL 01 - Collecting the first arc of Jai Nitz & Wesley St. Claire's crazy kung fu series.
- HARROW COUNTY #32 - The final issue of Cullen Bunn & Tyler Crook's brilliant horror tale.
- INFINITY 8 HC VOL 01 LOVE AND MUMMIES - The first story arc of this ambitious, nutty slice of multi-dimensional Euro sci-fi.
- MAE TP VOL 01 - Collecting the first series of Gene Ha's all ages fantasy adventure.
- MIKE HAMMER #1 - Max Allen Collins pens new adventures of the classic Mickey Spillane character.
- SENTRY #1 - The Golden Avenger returns, with Jeff Lemire & Aaron Kim Jacinto at the reins.
- SHADOW ROADS #1 - More Cullen Bunn! This time alongside Brian Hurtt as they make a welcome return to the world of The Sixth Gun.
- TEEN TITANS SPECIAL #1 - The Teen Titans reinvent themselves in the wake of No Justice.
- THANOS WINS BY DONNY CATES TP - Thanos journeys to the end of time to taste the fruits of victory, which, it turns out, are like ashes in his mouth. A great little Thanos story by Donny Cates and Geoff Shaw.
- VAMPIRELLA ROSES FOR DEAD #1 (OF 5) - Vampirella goes back to basics with Kristina Deak-Linsner & Joseph Michael Linsner.
And that's the lot! See ya next time!