The Gosh! Authority 20.06.18
It's another busy week of events, so let's get stuck in! This Friday, the 22nd, we've got Jim Whalley and Stephen Collins here to launch their new picture book Baby's First Bank Heist, with a slightly earlier than normal start time of 6.30pm, running to 8.30pm. We've got the book in stock now and it's a little gem, so be sure to pop down and get a copy signed by these fine gents! Details here.
But before that, we're helping celebrate next weekend's ELCAF festival with a very special edition of Drink and Draw on Thursday the 21st from 6.30pm! ELCAF exhibitors Xiao Mei, Laurel Pettitt, and Jens K Styve will be here to provide inspiration and artistic camaraderie in association with our pals at Broken Frontier. As ever, the good folks of Cass Art will be providing art supplies. Details here. And you can find more details on the excellent ELCAF on their website here.
And then next Tuesday, June 26th from 7.30-9pm, we're very privileged to have Jim Broadbent and Dix here in conversation with Paul Gravett to discuss their new Fantagraphics graphic novel collaboration Dull Margaret. We'll have copies of the book, including our exclusive bookplate, on sale for the event. If you can't make it, you can pre-order copies on our webstore now. Event details here.
It was another edifying, entertaining talk with the good folks of the Lucasfilm art departments last Monday as we had a panel of concept artists, costume designers and model builders here to discuss their work on Solo: A Star Wars story. We've still got a healthy pile of signed copies of The Art of Solo, which are available in store or online here.
Then on Tuesday we had our regular reading group discussing Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part Three Book One. It was a lively discussion, with a decidedly mixed range of opinions that made for a fun evening! Next month's book will be The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Volume 01 on the slightly later than normal date of Wednesday July 25th, 7-9pm.
Then on Thursday we had a great turnout for the launch of Apollo, the new moon-landing graphic novel from Chris Baker, Matt Fitch and Mike Collins, published by SelfMadeHero. We still have a couple of signed copies left in-store if you're quick, but it was a near-sellout on the night!
On with the comics!
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
2000 AD SCI-FI SPECIAL 2018
Writer / Artist: Various
Bit of a landmark, this one: for the first time in the magazine's history, an all-female line-up of writers, artists, colourists and letterers take the reigns for this one-shot special starring all your favourites. Featuring Leah Moore, Emma Beeby, Alex de Campi, Laura Bailey, Katy Rex, Tillie Walden (!), Olivia Hicks, Maura McHugh, Dani, Abigail Bulmer, Babs Tarr, Liana Kangas, Sam Beck, Xulia Vincente, Emma Viaceli, Eva de la Cruz, Gab Contreras, Pippa Mather, Barbara Nosenzo, Annie Parkhouse, Ellie de Ville & Tula Lotay! Phew!
Try it if you like: 2000AD / On A Sunbeam / The Future
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #801
Writer: Dan Slott
Artist: Marcos Martin
After a phenomenal run of 10 years, Dan Slott brings his tenure on Marvel's signature character to a close with this special issue drawn by Marcos Martin (whom any self-respecting Spidey fan would concur is one of the great Spider-Man artists). It's a one-shot story that is a summation of Slott's vision of the character, as he crafts one last classic Spidey story before he moves on. We loved you Dan! If only we knew what you were moving on to next...
Try it if you like: Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Does Whatever A Spider Can
TONY STARK IRON MAN #1
Writer: Dan Slott
Artist: Valerio Schiti
Dan Slott takes the reigns of the Golden Avenger! With the chance to give a fresh start to Tony Stark, Slott & Schiti are promising to explore the weirder edge of technology and all its potentially terrifying implications. Iron Man is a fascinating character, really. He evolves with real society and technology in a way that no other traditional hero does: what once seemed like science fiction is now the everyday, and what once seemed unimaginable now looks to be just around the corner. Tony Stark encapsulates that, his powers constantly growing and evolving and seeming ever more relevant. So...uhh...read Iron Man!
Try it if you like: Black Mirror / The Metabarons / Rick & Morty (hey...that's what Slott referenced!)
LUISA NOW AND THEN GN
Writer: Carole Maurel, Mariko Tamaki
Artist: Carole Maurel
A new addition to Humanoids impressive Life Drawn line, a grounded departure from their usual material (though this one does utilise a smidgen of time travel). It's a time-twisted story of identity and coming of age as a mature photographer meets her teenage self, and each through the other comes to terms with her sexuality and how central it is to her life. Mariko Tamaki handles the translation rewrite duties, so count us in!
Try it if you like: This One Summer / On A Sunbeam / Skim
SHANGHAI RED #1
Writer: Christopher Sebela
Artist: Josh Hixson
Pirates! Red is a young woman shanghaied (see what they did there?) out of Portland in the 1880s, sold to a ship's captain for a life of servitude on the high seas. That was the last anyone saw of her, that is until she sailed back into harbour years later in charge of her own ship, looking for her family and those responsible for stealing her away. Looks like a fun little slice of bloody revenge!
Try it if you like: Kill Bill / Barracuda / Black Sails
A STRANGE & BEAUTIFUL SOUND HC
A beautiful, contemplative graphic novel by Swiss comics superstar Zep, creator of the massively popular Titeuf. Quite a departure then from his usual raucous, irreverent style. A monk who has lived under an oath of silence for 25 years must leave his monastery to claim an inheritance in Paris. There he meets a young woman who is terminally ill, and lives each moment she has to its fullest. Somewhere in the tension between his faith and her will to live lies life's true meaning.
Try it if you like: Blankets / 5000 Kilometers Per Second / Tim Ginger
ALSO OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- COMPLETE FUTURE SHOCKS TP VOL 01 - At last! A who's who of great British comics talent tells twist-in-the-tale sci-fi shorts.
- EIGHT MILLION WAYS TO DIE HC - John K. Snyder III's graphic novel adaptation of the celebrated story by Lawrence Block
- GHOSTBUSTERS ANSWER THE CALL TP - An all new tale featuring the all new, all female Ghostbusters!
- GIANT DAYS TP EXTRA CREDIT - A collection of one-shots and shorts starring Esther, Susan, and Daisy.
- HIT-GIRL TP VOL 01 - Hit-Girl hits the road in this first collection from the new series.
- INFINITY COUNTDOWN BLACK WIDOW #1 - Natasha protects the Space Stone in this one-shot by Gerry Duggan & Nicole Virella.
- INFINITY COUNTDOWN CHAMPIONS #1 - Jim Zub & Emilio Laiso take on this one shot following the Champions into space for a battle to save the Nova Corps.
- LEGEND OF ZELDA ENCYCLOPEDIA HC - The third in Dark Horse's hugely successful Zelda companion books.
- MYSTIK U TP - A collection of the recent miniseries which is kind of Zatanna meets Harry Potter (and is also kind of good, actually!)
- RIVERS OF LONDON WATER WEED #1 - The latest Peter Grant adventure starts here!
- SISTERS OF SORROW TP - Sons of Anarchy's Kurt Sutter is the mastermind behind this original graphic novel tale of vigilante nuns.
- SPACE RIDERS TP VOL 02 GALAXY OF BRUTALITY - Fabian Rangel Jr & Alexis Ziritt's tales of cosmic insanity continue!
- STEPHEN MCCRANIES SPACE BOY TP VOL 01 - The massively popular Webtoons.com webcomic gets its first collection.
- TANK GIRL ALL STARS #1 - Alan Martin celebrates Tank Girl's 30th anniversary with an anthology featuring art by Brett Parson, Warwick Johnson-Cadwell, Chris Wahl & Jim Mahfood!
- WOLVERINE SAVAGE ORIGINS TP - A contemporary retelling of the clawed Canuck's origin.
And that's the lot for this week! See ya next time!