The Gosh! Authority 11.04.18
This week we announced the full days worth of events for this year's Free Comic Book Day. Here at Gosh, we like to make FCBD a real family affair, and so we'll be kicking off as always with our popular Kids Drawing Workshop Table, where a plethora of artists will join kids aged 6-12 at our drawing table. No need to book, no payment required: just pop along and join when space becomes available. We've got an amazing range of artists from the Flying Eye Books (Ben Newman Sandra Dieckmann & Joe Todd-Stanton), Bog Eyed Books and friends (Tor Freeman and Sarah McIntyre) and Improper Books (Laura Trinder and friends)! All kids participating will also get a grab-bag of FCBD titles.
Whilst all of that is going on, we'll also have an incredible line-up of artists doing live painting in our windows! Dan White, Crom, Lord Hurk, Lizzy Stewart, Paul Shinn and Isabel Greenberg will all be working away with paints and pens, so pop along to see some Real Live Artists at work!
Then from 1-2pm, we have a Guardian Cartoonists Signing, featuring the superb line up of Stephen Collins, Tom Gauld and Simone Lia!
You can have a little break after that if you like, but be sure to be back here for 3-4pm when we'll have a The Wicked and The Divine signing with the dynamic duo of creators! Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie will be joining us for the hour!
And seeing us home, we are honoured to have Michael & Laura Allred here with us from 5-6pm to sign for you lucky, lucky people! So mark it in your diaries and get your butts down here! There are things going on all over town, all day long, so make it a West End comics day (but especially a Gosh! Comics day!)
Saturday, May 5th: Free Comic Book Day 2018. See you there! Oh and we're so keen to give you FREE comics, we'll be opening half an hour early on the day, at 10AM! We'll have a massive range of FCBD 2018 titles available on the day, especially ones aimed at a younger audience. Because if comics can't be for kids, we're all doomed to future irrelevance as a cultural curiosity! Here are the house rules for the day -
Free comics will be available behind the counter downstairs.
Five per person, maximum one copy of each.
First come, first served!
But before that, we have a whole bunch of other great events to fill your time.
On Wednesday the 11th of April London's premier comic book reading group will be covering Tillie Walden's autobio-comic, Spinning. Always beautifully drawn and deeply heartfelt this book has plenty to discover, so we hope you'll join the Reads gang on Wednesday the 11th of April at 7 till 9 pm, here at Gosh! for the discussion. Keep up to date on the Facebook page.
EVENT UPDATE: We have just been informed that the Rick and Morty Pocket Like You Stole collected edition has been delayed. As such our scheduled event with Rick and Morty illustrator Marc Ellerby due to take place on Saturday, the 14th of April has been rescheduled for Saturday, April 28th. We apologise for any and all inconvenience this may have caused and hope you will all still be able to attend at the new later date. All pre-orders for signed copies of the book will of course still be valid but will now be shipping after the event on the 28th. Any questions and enquires about this change please email us in store - firstname.lastname@example.org
We still have a fantastic evening event on the 14th as Reinhard Kleist will be here in conversation with David Quantick from 7.30-9pm, to celebrate the launch of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: An Art Book! We're looking forward to everyone joining us for what is set to be a fascinating evening of conversation about Reinhard's work and career. Signed copies of Nick Cave: Mercy on Me and Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds: An Art Book, can be pre-ordered from our online shop and with all online orders you can arrange for an in-store collection or mail order to anywhere in the world.
We have the brilliant Erica Henderson here signing copies of her Eisner Award-winning work (with writer Ryan North) The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl on Friday, April 20th at 6 till 7pm!
Last Friday Eleanor Crewes was here to celebrate the launch of the collected edition of The Times I Knew I was Gay from excellent publisher Good Comics. Ellie's self-published works has been a long time Gosh favourite; so we were delighted to be the hosts for this next huge step for her as a creator. Judging by the huge crowd who came out and the fact we sold out in rapid time, Ellie has an incredibly bright future ahead in the comics world.
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
OUT IN THE OPEN HC
Writer: Jesus Carrasco
Artist: Javi Rey
After suffering violence and betrayal at home, a young boy flees into an uncompromising landscape ravaged by drought. Without food or water, exposed to the heat of the sun and the violence of his pursuers, the boy sets out across the Spanish plains. An encounter with an elderly goatherd offers hope of survival. The old man can help him stay ahead of the dangers that lie outside - but he can't fix the internal drama that plays out in the boy's mind. Based on the award-winning novel by Jesús Carrasco, Out in the Open is about escaping abuse and finding the humanity in a world torn apart by the violence of men.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE - ARAB OF THE FUTURE / MAUS / BERLIN
Writer: Steve Orlando
Artist: Garry Brown
Killers once feared Piotr Petrovich. Now, they've sent his son home to him - in a body bag. Haunted by his failures, Piotr journeys across Russia to learn what type of man his son really was, while hunting the bastards who killed him. And once Piotr finds them, they will learn to fear him once more. GLAAD Media Award-nominated writer Steve Orlando of VIRGIL and Midnighter fame and artist Garry Brown deliver an emotional, bone-shattering account of murder, masculinity, and mayhem.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE - CRIMINAL / STRAY BULLETS / INJECTION
DEAD HAND #1
Writer: Kyle Higgins
Artist: Stephen Mooney
In Cold War Relics Part One Kyle Higgins and Stephen Mooney's moody new wartime thriller kicks off. Carter Carlson was a highly decorated operative during the Cold War. But in the fall of 1991, as the Soviet Union collapsed, Carter discovered a secret that not only changed his life... but also altered the course of history. Now, as the mysterious "Dead Hand" threatens to end the world once again, the only thing standing in its way is the relationship between an old spy and a little boy.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE - ATOMIC BLONDE / VELVET / DMZ
Writer: Saladin Ahmed
Artist: Javier Rodriguez
Fan-favourite X-Man Blink once joined a team destined to save not just the world, but the entire Multiverse. And now, her teleporting talents are needed once again! When a mysterious threat begins eating away at the fabric of the Multiverse, the Unseen - the man once known as Nick Fury who now can only observe Earth from a lofty post on the moon - must recruit a champion to save it. But she can't do it alone. Who will join Blink's new team - and can they ever go home again? From superstar Black Bolt writer Saladin Ahmed and Gosh! favourite artist Javier Rodriguez.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE - Black Bolt / MS MARVEL / YOUNG AVENGERS
Writer: Gail Simone
Artist: David Baldeon
Marvel's #1 soldier of fortune is back in an explosive new ongoing series! The product of a failed super-soldier program, Neena Thurman always made her own luck as the sharpshooting mercenary known as Domino... but what happens when her own powers betray her? The hunter becomes the hunted as every mercenary in the game smells blood in the water! Plus: A pair of beloved Marvel characters return!
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE - X-FORCE / CABLE / CLEAN ROOM
THE BEST WE COULD DO SC
Writer/Artist: Thi Bui
Publisher: Abrams Comicarts
The Best We Could Do explores the anguish of immigration and the lasting effects that displacement has on a child. Thi Bui documents her family's daring escape after the fall of South Vietnam in the 1970s and the diffiulties they faced building new lives for themselves in America. With haunting, poetic writing and breathtaking art, The Best We Could Do examines the strength of family, the importance of identity, and the meaning of home, providing inspiration to all who search for a better future while longing for a simpler past.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE - HOSTAGE / MARCH / ROLLING BLACKOUTS
AFTERSHOCK SHOCK HC
AfterShock Comics continues to push boundaries by presenting its very first anthology collection featuring a slew of today's top writers and artists. Presented in the European Album format (the same as the recent Animosity: the Rise hardcover for LCSD), this handsome hardcover features the creative talents of Neil Gaiman, Michael Zulli, Charles Vess, Michael Gaydos, Andy Clarke, Andrew Robinson, Mike Carey, Jim Starlin, Phil Hester, Paul Jenkins, Dalibor Talajic, Bill Willingham, Travis Moore, Brian Azzarello, Francesco Francavilla, Cullen Bunn, Marc Guggenheim, Marguerite Bennett, Frank Tieri, Brian Stelfreeze and more! Cover art by John Cassaday! From the multiple Eisner and Havery Award-nominated editor of the classic Negative Burn anthology series.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE - DARK HORSE PRESENTS / ANIMOSITY / NEIL GAIMAN
ROBOCOP CITIZENS ARREST #1
Writer: Brian Wood
Artist: Jorge Coelho
Brian Wood, the visionary writer behind DMZ and Briggs Land, and Jorge Coelho (Venom, Rocket Racoon) present a provocative vision of a future where justice is crowdsourcedc and lethal. It's been decades since the RoboCop program first began. Corporations have taken over the schools and the government.and law enforcement is the biggest private contract of all. Traditional police forces no longer exist as all citizens are encouraged.and rewarded.to spy on their neighbours. There is only one authority on the streets: ROBOCOP.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE - ROBOCOP / SPACE RIDERS / COLD WAR
IMMORTAL MEN #1
Writer: James TynionIV
Artist: Jim Lee & Scott Williams
here is a secret history to the DC Universe of heroes who have protected humanity from the shadows since the dawn of time...and who can live forever. Enter the Immortal Men! The team, headed by the Immortal Man, has waged a secret war against the House of Conquest for countless years-but Conquest has dealt a devastating blow. When their base of operations, known as the Campus, is savagely attacked, the Immortal Men must seek out their last hope-an emerging metahuman known as Caden Park! Caden's emerging powers may be able to ensure the Immortal Men's survival-but will Conquest get to him first?
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE - DARK NIGHTS METAL / DAMAGE / SILENCER
BROTHERS DRACUL #1
Writer: Cullen Bunn
Artist: Mirko Colak
The legend of Vlad the Impaler is the stuff of nightmares. The inspiration for the most iconic of monsters-Dracula-Vlad tortured and murdered thousands of victims. But what turned him into such a depraved killer? The truth lies in his teenage years, when Vlad and his brother Radu were held hostage by the Ottoman Empire. During this time, the brothers learned many things-archery, riding, the art of combat, matters of court...and how to stalk and slay vampires. From writer Cullen Bunn and artist Mirko Colak comes a tale of brothers and blood.
TRY IT IF YOU LIKE - AMERICAN VAMPIRE / BABYTEETH / DARK ARK
ALSO OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- ACTION COMICS 80 YEARS OF SUPERMAN HC - This year marks the 80th anniversary of Superman's debut in Action Comics #1. DC is celebrating this date with the publication of a new hardcover featuring work from Jerry Seigel, Len Wein, Marv Wolfman, John Byrne, Joe Kelly, Grant Morrison, Gil Kane, Jim Lee, Scott Williams and many more besides.
- ADVENTURES IN SCIENCE SC - Thirteen self-contained what if tales of mankind’s frighteningly fantastical future, with stories by Shaky Kane, Krent Able and Jacen Burrows.
- ALGERIA IS BEAUTIFUL LIKE AMERICA HC - A combination travelogue and memoir exploring the rich heritage and tumultuous modern history of Algeria and its connections to Europe and colonialism
- BPRD DEVIL YOU KNOW TP VOL 01 - The latest addition to the Hellboy/BPRD universe with artwork by the always terrific James Harren and Tyler Crook.
- CAPTAIN AMERICA #700 - Mark Waid & Chris Samnee's latest story arc comes to a close as Captain America hits a landmark with its 700th issue.
- CLOVER HONEY SPEC ED TP - A beautifully revised, redrawn and expanded special edition, of artist Rich Tommaso's high stakes crime story.
- COYOTES TP VOL 01 - A blood-soaked action horror from writer Sean Lewis who impressed us massively with his work on The Few.
- DEADPOOL VS OLD MAN LOGAN TP - Best known for his art, Declan Shalvey stretches his writer's muscles again here to craft a ridiculously fun and action-filled superhero caper alongside artist Mike Henderson, whom we have loved since his work on Masks and Mobsters.
- FAMILY TRADE TP VOL 01 - The first chapter in Justin Jordan, Nikki Ryan, and Morgan Beem's new fantasy tale. For fans of The Lies of Locke Lamora and Brotherhood of the Wolf.
- FLAYED CORPSE AND OTHER STORIES HC - Josh Simmons of Black River fame returns with a harrowing and genre-bending collection of more than two dozen short stories. The individual stories in Flayed Corpse stand on their own and also complement each other in ways that only heighten the anxiety and dread pouring from the pages.
- LAZARUS X PLUS 66 TP - Six separate stories following characters old and new through the world of The New York Times bestselling series Lazarus, shining light into the dark places of the world following the events of the Cull.
- LEGENDARY LADIES HC - From the beloved author and artist behind Bad Girls Throughout History comes this lushly illustrated book of goddesses from around the world.
- LONE SLOANE GAIL HC - Written and drawn by Philippe Druillet, known for his graphic adaption of Michael Moorcock's Elric hit fantasy series, Elric, The Return to Melnibone and his work for Heavy Metal.
- MOEBIUS LIBRARY ART OF EDENA HC - The second volume in Dark Horse's Moebius Library series. Glowingly illustrated in the elegant clear-line art and rich colours for which Moebius is justly revered, the book careens spectacularly through science fiction and fantasy
- RESIDENT ALIEN: AN ALIEN IN NEW YORK #1 (OF 4) - Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse continue their unique, acclaimed science-fiction/murder-mystery series with a brand new mini-series.
- SUPERMANSION #1 (OF 2) - Based on the Emmy nominated web-based animated show airing on Crackle, now featured on Adult Swim! Written by show writer Barry Hutchinson! Aging superhero Titanium Rex, and his has-been team known as The League of Freedom struggle to stay relevant in a changing world.
- TREMENDOUS TRUMP MAN CHILD COVFEFE ONE SHOT - Creators Alfred Perez and Ben Dun's satirical and silly riff on Trump.
- VIOLETTE AROUND THE WORLD HC VOL 01 - A new and beautiful YA graphic novel from IDW. Perfect for Phoenix readers looking for something new.
Lastly, on Thursday, April 26th at 8pm over at the Art House - Crouch End, Stand up Comedian and cartoonist Mike Capozzola’s live, multimedia stand up comedy show about superheroes, time-travel, sci-fi and monsters Evil Cyborg Sea Monsters will be taking place. Tickets are £10 and you can find out all the details on the Facebook event page here.
See you all next week,
Andrew & Shaun.