The Gosh! Authority 21.03.18
Coming up on the 22nd March, at 7-9pm Alexander Tucker and David CW Briggs will be here for our next launch event: UNDIMENSIONED presents R, the new comic by artist and musician DCWB (aka David CW Briggs). DCWB takes us on a journey through the utter pointlessness of war in this repetitious cycle of humanoids, flamboyant assassins, and ruthless goblin killers. UNDIMENSIONED is published by comic artist and musician Alexander Tucker, whose latest comic Entity Reunion will also be available at the launch. If you'd like to have something signed and can't make it down on the night, just drop us an email at email@example.com. Keep up to date on the facebook events page.
Seminal graphic designer Rian Hughes was here last Thursday for an in-depth talk and q&a about his process and career as well as to celebrate the launch of his new book on pop culture branding, Logo-a-Gogo! The place was full to bursting with standing room only as the talk began. However, we managed to get Rian to sign a stack of extra copies so you can still grab signed copies instore and online here.
The following evening wonderful cartoonist Ben Newman was with us in store for a celebration of the publication of the latest Professor Astro Cat adventure - Human Body Odyssey! This is yet another gorgeous, charming and ingenious all ages book from Flying Eye and we have signed copies! Get 'em will you can! If you can't make it in we have some up on the website here.
The lovely folks at Abrams & Chronicle have teamed up with us to give away three copies of Jillian Tamaki's wonderful new picture book They Say Blue, complete with a beautiful signed print! We'll be running a competition on our Twitter from midday Wednesday, so keep an eye out for your chance to win!
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
ALIENS DEAD ORBIT TP
Writer/Artist: James Stokoe
Publisher: Dark Horse
Written and illustrated by Orc Stain creator and Gosh favourite James Stokoe, Dark Horse's Aliens Dead Orbit is for our money one of the best Aliens comics ever made, if not one of the best Alien related narratives full stop. After an horrific accident strikes a space station, an engineering officer must use all the tools of his trade as well as his wits to survive an attack from the deadliest creature known to man. Collecting all four issues of the thrilling and claustrophobic Aliens Dead Orbit story in one gorgeous package.
Grab a copy of our exclusive signed bookplate instore or online here. Online orders can be mailed out or collected instore.
Try it if you like - Orc Stain / Alien / Aliens / Brilliant Comics
INFINITY 8 #1
Writer: Lewis Trondheim, Zep
Artist: Dominique Bertail
A fun project created by European comics legends Lewis Trondheim and Olivier Vatine. A massive space cruiser has its journey interrupted by a huge debris field. 8 agents are dispatched across 8 parallel timelines to discover the cause, each having their story told in a 3-issue arc by some of Europe's top talent, including Lewis Trondheim, Olivier Vatine, Zep, Dominique Bertail, Fabien Vehlmann, Balez, Kris, Trystram, De Felici, and Boulet. With that line-up, needless to say it gets a little weird...
Try it if you like - Heavy Metal / The Fifth Element / The Incal
LUCY DREAMING #1
Writer: Max Bemis
Artist: Michael Dialynas
Bemis, lead singer of Say Anything and up and coming comics writer, teams up with artist of the recently finished (and great) series The Woods to tell the tale of a young girl's imaginary world. In her dreams, Lucy is the hero of the story, and through the vivid, genre-crossing landscape of her subconscious she begins to unlock the means with which to tackle her burgeoning adolescence.
Try it if you like - Lumberjanes / Smile / Space Dumplins
Is...is that it for the Highlights part? It's almost like we were running out of time!
ALSO OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- BATMAN NOIR THE DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN HC - Frank Miller's totally bananas sequel to the Dark Knight Returns is presented stripped of Lynn Varley's crazed (and we think brilliant) palette.
- BATMAN TALES OF THE MAN BAT TP - Reprinting some solid Man-Bat tales from the 90's and mid-2000's.
- CAVE CARSON HAS AN INTERSTELLAR EYE #1 - The hit Young Animal series returns for a brand new arc. After a year of multiverse-hopping and fighting in the Milk Wars, returning to a normal life of digging and cave-diving just isn't the same for explorer Cave Carson, but a black hole spelunking expedition leads to more adventure that Carson knows what to do with.
- CORTO MALTESE GN GOLDEN HOUSE OF SAMARKAND - Hugo Pratt's famed adventurer heads to Turkey, Azerbaijan, and the Caspian Sea for this latest volume, as Corto searches for the fabled treasure of Alexander the Great.
- GIANT DAYS TP VOL 07 - The Eisner Award-nominated series continues to constantly impress us and with its seventh volume on shelves this week it shows no signs of letting up in delighting us. Is Giant Days the best comic sit-com ever? It might just be.
- HARROW COUNTY TP VOL 07 - Tension builds as we rapidly approach the end of Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crook's horror opus. One of the best horror books on stands.
- IRON MAN HONG KONG HEROES #1 (OF 1) - A one-shot story born out of Disneyland Hong Kong's latest attraction. Theme park attraction to story worked for Pirates of the Caribbean, why not for Tony Stark?
- MOONSTRUCK TP VOL 01 - The first chapter of the brand-new, all-ages, magical, coffee-laden adventure from Lumberjanes co-creator Grace Ellis and mega talented illustrator Shae Beagle.
- RETCON TP VOL 01 REVERSE ENGINEERED - Man of mind-blowing visuals Toby Cypress partners up with writer Matt Nixon for one of the best Image books of last year, now finally collected here. High concept, brilliantly executed sci-fi action.
- SPIDER-MEN II TP - Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli return for a sequel five years in the making as Peter Parker and Miles Morales once again join forces.
- THOR VS HULK TP CHAMPIONS OF UNIVERSE - For the first time ever in print, this all-ages romp sees Thor and Hulk in some tag team superheroic action. The perfect follow up for new fans after seeing Thor Ragnarok.
- WEAPON H #1 - From the speculator-baiting pages of Weapons of Mutant Destruction comes Weapon H: a kind of cross between the Hulk and Wolverine who has escaped his evil creators. To be honest, it sounds totally daft, but Greg Pak can do great things with daft concepts. Gladiator Hulk, anyone?
- WONDER WOMAN FORGOTTEN LEGENDS TP - George Perez, Kurt Busiek, and Lee Marrs' 80's Wonder Woman tales done in the style of the Golden Age, featuring art from Irv Novick, Rick Magyar, Ramona Fradon, and Trina Robbins.
That's all for another week.
Andrew & Shaun.