The Gosh! Authority 07.02.18
At the end of last week, we announced some of our upcoming events. First up and rapidly approaching we'll have Ryan Holmberg here on Monday 12th February 7.30pm - 9pm to celebrate the launch of Breakdown Press' latest, Fukushima Devil Fish by Katsumata Susumu, with a presentation on gekiga manga, focusing on the works of Matsumoto Masahiko, Tsuge Yoshiharu, Hayashi Seiichi, and Katsumata Susumu. If you'd like to pre-order a copy of the book for mail order or in-store collection please just drop us an email to email@example.com. This event will be a rare chance to learn about a field of manga that until recently was little-known in the English-language market, whose greatest practitioners created works whose vibrancy and power have lost none of their potency. Ryan will be here from 7.30pm-9pm on Monday 12th February. Come along for what's sure to be a fascinating night! Keep up with any updates on the Facebook event page.
This one is still a little way off but we're excited and can't stop talking about it. We are going to have Rick and Morty illustrator Marc Ellerby signing with us to celebrate the release of the collected Pocket Like you Stole It on Saturday the 14th of April from 1-2pm. Get your pre-orders for signed copies in here.
Oh and don't forget our second reading book group of the year will be taking place on Wednesday the 14th of February. This time out Reads will be covering the excellent Beautiful Darkness, by Kerascoët and Fabien Vehlmann.
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
Writer: Ivan Brandon
Artist: Esad Ribic
Forget Vince McMahon's plans to resurrect the XFL, War is the spectator sport of the future. Privately funded and run armies of superstar soldiers march into battle for fame, profit, and the glory of their sponsor nations. Top gladiator Satta Flynn has a fall from grace and learns how fleeting the limelight can be, as a new generation of soldiers rises through the ranks. From critically acclaimed genre writer Ivan Brandon, whose world building we have adored on both Black Cloud and Drifter, and megastar artist Esad Ribic in his creator-owned Image debut, and featuring painted colour work from Nic Klein and sublime design as always from Gosh! fave Tom Muller. VS delivers Ribic's signature spectacular action, whilst Brandon's writing is underpinned by a darkly humorous satirical vein that explores our hunger for fame and our penchant for self-destruction.
Try it if you like - East of West / All You Need Is Kill / Judge Dredd
TWISTED ROMANCE #1 (OF 4)
Writer: Alex De Campi, Sarah Horrocks & Magen Cubed
Artist: Katie Skelly, Sarah Horrocks & Magen Cubed
A great line-up of women creators in Alex de Campi's new anthology of skewed romance stories, including Gosh fave Katie Skelly. The lead story by de Campi and Skelly tells the tale of Heartbreak Incorporated, an agency dedicated to tearing relationships apart, headed by a mysterious handsome seducer. Then Sarah Horrocks and Magen Cubed provide back-up stories bringing their own unique sensibilities to the romance genre in a series that's sure to throw up some real gems. We've read a preview of the first issue, and it's a corker!
Try it if you like - My Pretty Vampire / Grindhouse: Doors Open At Midnight / Fresh Romance
X-MEN: RED #1
Writer: Tom Taylor
Artist: Mahmud A. Asrar
The real, honest-to-god, this timeline's grown-up Jean Grey is back! Fresh from the pages of Phoenix Resurrection, Jean brings together her own team of X-Men to rekindle Xavier's dream of peaceful coextistence. Aussie writer Taylor - creator of hit Netflix kids show The Deep - brings a warmth and humanity to this book that marks it as one of the best new X-books we've seen since Jason Aaron's Wolverine & the X-Men run (also echoed in the slightly oddball team that Jean has put together). Plus we're always on board for some new Mahmoud Asrar art!
Try it if you like - Wolverine & the X-Men / X-Factor / Jean Grey
YOUNG MONSTERS IN LOVE #1
Writer: Paul Dini, James Robinson, Jeff Lemire, Steve Orlando, Mark Russell, Kyle Higgins, Alisa Kwitney & Phil Hester
Artist: Guillem March, Frazer Irving, Kelley Jones & more!
In keeping with their rather startling recent trend of making holiday specials with decent creative line-ups, DC drop their monstrous tribute to Valentine's Day this week. The good ghouls, goblins and grotesques of the DC universe deserve a little love too, right? And some of DC's best writers and artists are here to assist with the macabre matchmaking in an 80-page monster of a Valentine's special that boldly answers the question: What Love Lies in the Heart of a MONSTER?
Try it if you like - Deadman / Swamp Thing / Frankenstein Agent of SHADE
INFINITY COUNTDOWN ADAM WARLOCK #1
Writer: Gerry Duggan
Artist: Mike Allred
It's the return of Adam Warlock, and to be frank if we could pick one artist to draw the classic cosmic messiah, we couldn't choose any better than Mike Allred. It's the kick-off to Marvel's upcoming summer event centred on the Infinity Stones (hmm, can't imagine why), as a newly-resurrected Adam teams up with none other than Kang the Conqueror to discover the secrets behind the Soul Stone. In a possible future the stone is the root of Adam's downfall and transformation into the tyrannical Magus, but is there more to its corruption that simply the power it bestowed upon him? Smart money says: probably! Grab this one-shot and get on board the cosmic saga of the summer!
Try it if you like - Warlock / Infinity / Annihilation
Writer: Stefan Wul & Olivier Vatine
Artist: Olivier Vatine
Publisher: Dark Horse
We've always had a soft spot for Vatine since coming across his brilliant work on the Dark Horse adaptation of Timothy Zahn's Star Wars Heir to the Empire back in the mid-90's. His clean Moebius-inspired line was perfect for the material. It's all-too rare we see any English translations of the French artist's work, so it's a treat to get this adaptation of legendary French sci-fi author Stefan Wul's 1957 novel of the same name. It's an examination of humanity's best and worst as a young boy journeys across a post-apocalyptic America in search of the city of New York.
Try it if you like - Planet of the Apes / Fantastic Planet / Kamandi
GET NAKED OGN
Writer: Steven T. Seagle
Artist: Emei Olivia Burell, Tina Burholt, Patricia Amalie Eckerle, Christopher Hammer, and others
A series of graphic essays by Seagle and 19 international cartoonists looking at nakedness: the being of it, our responses to it, and the different cultural attitudes to it. It's an eclectic collection of stories ranging from the wry comedy to raw honesty. Seagle delves into the personal material all-too rarely, but when he does (à la It's A Bird) he's extremely effective.
Try it if you like - It's A Bird / Minimum Wage / The Story of Sex
ALSO OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- EXPANSE ORIGINAL GN - Based on the bestselling books and tying into the hit Syfy/Netflix television series, the first Expanse graphic novel reveals the untold origins of the crew members of the Rocinante.
- GROO PLAY OF THE GODS TP - More hijinx from Sergio Aragones' award-winning sword and sorcery all-ages adventure series.
- INCOGNEGRO A GRAPHIC MYSTERY HC - A new edition to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the acclaimed graphic novel. Suspenseful, unsettling and relevant, Incognegro is a tense read of shifting identities, forbidden passions, and secrets. And no better time to pick it up, as this week also sees...
- INCOGNEGRO RENAISSANCE #1 - A prequel series to the original GN, as Zane Pinchback goes "incognegro" for the first time after a black writer is murdered at a scandalous interracial party.
- LEGENDERRY RED SONJA #1 (OF 5) - Swashbuckling pirates meet Romeo and Juliet in this Dynamite Legenderry universe adventure.
- MOTHER PANIC BATMAN SPECIAL #1 - The second chapter of Milk Wars, the lovingly loopy Young Animal / DC Universe crossover! By Jody Houser and Ty Templeton.
- PLEASE DESTROY THE INTERNET GN - A follow-up to Michael Sweater's cult hit Please Destroy My Enemies.
- RED WINTER SC - Anneli Furmark's delicate and sublimely cinematic story of a love affair in the freezing winter of an isolated northern town. For fans of Blankets.
- SCALES & SCOUNDRELS TP VOL 01 - Shirtless Bear Fighter writer Sebastian Girner and artist Galaad's beautiful fantasy adventure book of treasure hunters and dangerous dungeons get's it's first book collection.
- SWAMP THING WINTER SPECIAL #1 - A deluxe one-shot by Mister Miracle's Tom King, with art by Jason Fabok, with the final Swamp Thing story by his co-creator, the late Len Wein, with art by Kelley Jones.
- WALT DISNEY SHOWCASE #1 DONALD DUCK - Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge star in "The Bad News Bruise Cruise!" Donald is tasked with single-handedly sailing a luxury liner full of billionaires across the ocean at the behest of Uncle Scrooge, this can only end badly.
- WICKED & DIVINE 1923 ONE SHOT - The latest flashback one-shot, this time set against the back-drop of the roaring twenties, as a thoroughly modernist set of gods find themselves in a twsited murder mystery. Usual writer Kieron Gillen is in place, with lovely art by Aud Koch.
Until next time, that's all.
Andrew and Shaun.