The Gosh! Authority 31.01.18
We have an incredible line-up of costume designers and concept artists from Star Wars: The Last Jedi here for a signing and Q&A on Thursday, 15th of February, featuring Kim Frederiksen, Jake Lunt Davies, Jock, Chris Weston, Adam Brockbank and Kevin Jenkins. Running from 7:30 through until 9 PM. The event is ticketed and is now sold out. However people are welcome to queue on the evening for return tickets, these will be allocated on a first come first basis with no waiting list in place. Can't make it along? Or don't fancy the returns queue? You can pre-order a signed copy here. Postage to any UK address is a flat rate of £5 and quotes for international shipping are available on request or you can select to collect in store at a later date. Our last Star Wars talk was a fascinating and insightful evening and we're excited about more.
Last Saturday was our signing with writer/artist Declan Shalvey. Running over the advertised time so Declan could squeeze in everyone who'd come out en masse to see him. As always thanks to the patient and friendly crowd in attendance and of course to Declan for being a constant gent. Don't worry if you couldn't make it on the day Declan left us with huge stacks of signed goodies, we've got Injection volumes one to three, All-Star Batman and Moon Knight volume ones plus his debut graphic novel as a writer, Savage Town. If you'd like something stashed aside to pick up in store drop us an email to email@example.com.
The end of the month is upon us and with it comes the conclusion of our sale. You have until the end of day Wednesday the 31st to grab yourself some last minute bargains. The ground floor sales boxes have had one last top up and the back issues racks downstairs are as full as they can get with comics goodies. So come and grab yourself some reading material for the year.
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
JLA DOOM PATROL SPECIAL #1
Writer: Steve Orlando, Gerard Way & Magdalene Visaggio
Artist: Aco, Sonny Liew with Frank Quitely covers
Publisher: DC / Young Animal
Part one of Young Animal's first line-wide crossover starts right here, the Milk Wars have begun as DC's Young Animal collides with the DC Universe to give the world a different kind of crossover. The Doom Patrol has discovered that an interdimensional corporation called RetCo has been stealing stories, reconfiguring them and repackaging them for new markets. Our gang of misfit heroes have felt the touch of this nefarious company, and it has already started to change them. Even scarier, though, is how deeply RetCo has embedded itself into current continuity, using the radioactive milk of psychic cows to quell the more dangerous impulses of the Justice League and turn them into heroes safe for the masses. Prepare to meet Milkman Man, heretofore unknown final son of Krypton, who was sent to our planet to save him from the destruction of his homeworld, only to be adopted by an evil dairy farmer and raised to love all things dairy! Co-written by DC titan Steve Orlando and the King of Young Animal himself Gerard Way, with jaw-dropping art from ACO (whose run on Nick Fury you may remember us not shutting up about 'cus we loved it so!), this extra-sized special starts Milk Wars with a splash! Plus, it features the start of Eternity Girl, the next series coming from the imprint. This four-part backup story will run throughout all of Milk Wars, written by Kim and Kim writer Magdalene Visaggio showcasing beautiful clean art from Sonny Liew, whose The Art of Charlie Chan Hock Chye we adored. This is one hell of a package and a contender for must-read event of the year, and it's only January!
Try it if you like - Doom Patrol / Umbrella Academy / New X-Men
Writer: Ryan Lindsay & Eric Zawadzki,
Artist: Eric Zawadzki
Publisher: Black Mask
This oversized bande dessinee graphic novella is a bloodstained love letter to violence and heartache. With gorgeous, fluid art from Eric Zawadzki, hot off of his work on last years critical darling, and one of our Shaun's personal favourite books of the year, The Dregs. Eric's art is like the love child of Marcos Martín and Chris Samnee and is a visual banquet for the eyes. Penned by award-winning writer Ryan K Lindsay, best known for marrying emotionally driven characters to wild out their genre stories, Eternal is a self-contained gorgeous and harrowing Viking ghost story, a revenge tale that will rip your heart out. Expect this on a lot of best of year lists in eleven months. Don't miss out.
Try it if you like - Northlanders / The Dregs / Black Hammer
MOTHERLANDS #1 (OF 6)
Writer: Simon Spurrier
Artist: Rachael Stott
In a crazed future where unhinged technologies and interconnected parallel Earths have given rise to a new breed of super-criminal. Now the most beloved celebrities aren't actors, musicians or YouTubers but the bounty hunters who traverse an exotic multiverse in search of impossible prey! But when the spotlight-shunning, strait-laced tracer known as Tab finds herself in an ultra-violent race for her greatest prize yet, she's forced to work with her greatest rival, the only person capable of IDing him: her own overbearing and hypercritical mother, who was once the most fabulous and celebrated bounty hunter the multiverse has seen! A science-fiction dark comedy action comic from X-Men Legacy and Spire writer Si Spurrier and uber-talented artist Rachael Stott, who you may know from her recent work on both Wicked + Divine and Sex Criminals. Featuring covers by Gosh! favourite Eric Canete. One of our most hotly anticipated Vertigo titles in years!
Try it if you like - East of West / Fear Agent / Private Eye
HUNGRY GHOSTS #1 (OF 4)
Writer: Anthony Bourdain & Joel Rose
Artist: Alberto Ponticelli & Vanesa Del Ray
Publisher: Dark Horse
Hungry Ghosts is cooked up by the infamous author and chef, Anthony Bourdain of Kitchen Confidential and Emmy-Award winning TV show Parts Unknown fame, alongside acclaimed New York Times #1 best seller novelist Joel Rose. The pair previously collaborated on Vertigo's Get Jiro! books. Providing art this issue are a stellar line of creators - Alberto Ponticelli and Vanesa Del Rey, with amazing colour by Jose Villarrubia, and a drop-dead cover by Paul Pope. Inspired by the Japanese Edo period game of Hyakumonogatari Kaidankai, Hungry Ghosts reimagines the classic stories of yokai, yorei, and obake, all tainted with the common thread of food. When a Russian oligarch dares a circle of international chefs to play the samurai game of 100 Candles-where each storyteller spins a terrifying tale of ghosts, demons and unspeakable beings, they each pray to survive.
Try it if you like - Harrow County / Shiver / Wytches
WEIRD WORLD OF LAGOOLA GARDNER
Writer/Artist: Zach Worton
Martians, murder and mayhem in Zach Worton's one-man showcase. Lagoola Gardner has recently acquired his deceased grandmother's possessions, including her crystal ball and fez, which she used in her practice as a medium. These seemingly innocuous items, when worn by Lagoola, act as an antenna to the spiritual plane where she resides. This all helps his side business, as an investigator of the macabre! Wonderful cartooning throughout, Zach's stories are Tomnie meets Kyle Starks byway of Crumb and that's one delicious combination.
Try it if you like - Sexcastle / Pope Hats / Klaus
ON THE WALL GN
Writer: Carrie Harris
Artist: Stipe Kalajzic
Publisher: One Peace Books
If you could choose any superpower what would it be? Flight? Teleportation? Mind Reading? How about being able to phase through shiny objects? Well, sadly that's the power Mira Mason has been gifted with, the world's lamest superpower! Being a teenager is hard enough without throwing a useless power into the mix. All Mira wants to do is put the resident mean girl in her place and convince her crush that she exists. But someone with a power like hers is she can't resist the temptation to pop out of mirrors to spy on local girls like a total creeper.
Try it if you like - Shade The Changing Girl / Black Hole / Giant Days
CLANDESTINO COMPLETE COLLECTION TP
Writer/Artist: Amancay Nahuelpan
Publisher: Black Mask
One man comic making machine Amancay Nahuelpan writes, draws, and letters the entirety of Clandestino which is a tour-de-force of hyper-stylized, splatterpunk, ultraviolence. The country of Tairona became a no man's land after a military coup. Guerrillas have formed across the lands, and rebels unify against the dictator to resist the regime. A high-octane, action-packed thrill ride about freedom fighters, their love of country, and a rebellion to seize liberty from tyranny!
Try it if you like - Narcos / Sixth Gun / Scalped
BLACK AF AMERICAS SWEETHEART GN
Writer: Kwanza Osajyefo
Artist: Jennifer Johnson
Publisher: Black Mask
Writer Kwanza Osajyefo's follow up to his cult favourite series Black with Black AF America's Sweetheart, a brand new OGN from Black Mask Studios. Eli Franklin is a 15-year-old girl living in rural Montana and she just happens to be the most powerful person on the planet. In the aftermath of the world learning that only black people have superpowers, Eli makes her debut as the superhero Good Girl, on a mission to help people and quell the fear of empowered blacks. When a super-terrorist threatens to take away everything Eli has worked toward, will donning a patriotic costume be enough for her to find acceptance?
Try it if you like - Prince of Cats / America's Got Powers / Black Panther
Writer: Dan Abnett
Artist: John Romita Jr & Sandra Hope
Acclaimed sci-fi writer Dan Abnett is about to unleash one of the worlds deadliest assassins in the DC universe. Super-strong, highly trained, armed with devastating and stealthy meta-human abilities, the Silencer is virtually invincible. Or at least she was. After decades as Leviathan's chief assassin, Honor Guest put in her time and managed to get out with her skin intact. Now she lives a normal life with a normal family in a normal house on a normal street. But the past has come back to haunt her in the form of her old employer and a deadly new mission. What more could you want? How about artwork from John Romita Jr and Sandra Hope.
Try it if you like - Kill Bill / Deathstroke / Lazarus
ALSO OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- BLACK CROWN QUARTERLY #2 WINTER 2018 - Editor supreme Shelly Bond's latest project continues to skyrocket with its second anthology issue, containing work by Gosh! faves Peter Milligan, Rob Davis, Jamie Coe, and Tess Fowler,
- BRIGGS LAND TP VOL 02 LONE WOLVES - Writer Brian Wood's massively underrated modern day politic, action thriller. Looking to fill the void as we wait for more Sheriff of Babylon? This is more than up to the task.
- DC ANNUALS DEATHSTROKE, DETECTIVE COMICS, FLASH and second prints of BATMAN ANNUAL #2 -A bumper week of DC comics Annuals including restock of the reprint of the stellar second Batman annual from Tom King, Michael Lark, and Lee Weeks. Plus this weeks Flash annual is the prelude to the blockbuster summer event FLASH WAR! So don't miss out on this opening chapter.
- GEARS OF WAR RISE OF RAAM #1 - Rat Queens scribe Kurtis J Wiebe and artist Max Dunbar take us to the grim dark future in this comic spinning out of the smash hit video game franchise. Expect lots of bullets, blood, and bromance. This has already sold out at publisher level so if you'd like a first printing get in quickly.
- KILL THE MINOTAUR TP - Lukas Ketner's gorgeous and vivid art brings this classic myth to life in this Image comics adaptation of heroism, adding layers and textures to the story we all think we know.
- MICHAEL CHABON ESCAPIST AMAZING ADVENTURES TP - In the fictional world of the awarding winning novel, The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay, the Escapist - the epitome of Golden Age superhero - was conceived. This anthology is a collection of the hero's history and his exploits, created by an all-star cast of comic book luminaries including Howard Chaykin, Harvey Pekar, Jim Starlin and Brian K. Vaughan
- REDLINE TP VOL 01 - Oni press is one of the most under-appreciated publishers in comics and Redline has been a hidden gem for far too long. Now with the collection out it's time to get in on the secret and find out just how terrific this Archer meets Starship Troopers book is!
- SAUCER STATE TP - Paul Cornell and Ryan Kelly's tale of Arcadia Alvarado, former alien abductee and current President of the United States, continues, and now that she commands the highest office in the country, she'll use her power to find out what really happened. The best Twilight Zone's episode never made.
- STAR WARS LAST JEDI DJ MOST WANTED #1 - Join the writers of the Star Wars young adult novel series - Join The Resistance - Ben Acker & Ben Blacker as they explore the darker side of the Star Wars universe in this new series centred around Benecio Del Toro's character DJ.
- VENOM TP VOL 03 LETHAL PROTECTOR BLOOD IN THE WATER - Venom takes on Kraven The Hunter in this incredibly fun symbiote story.
- VIOLENT LOVE TP VOL 02 - Chapter two in Frank J. Barbiere and Victor Santos' innovative period pulp crime romp. Fall in love with some broken people as they make all the wrong choices. Full of twists and turns that will leave you breathless. The best crime book since Stray Bullets.
Last order of business this week we're looking ahead to April and Action Comics reaching the massive milestone of one thousand issues. DC is celebrating this with two huge releases, firstly on the 11th, the ACTION COMICS #1000: 80 YEARS OF SUPERMAN hardcover hits our stands, this is a nearly 400-page tome featuring Superman stories from across the decades with work from Jerry Siegel, Joe Shuster, John Byrne, Grant Morrison, Len Wein and dozens of others on display. Retailing for £26.99 this is a smorgasbord of Supes delights for new and old fans alike.
Secondly a week later ACTION COMICS #1000 lands. Retailing at £6.80 this is an oversized deluxe issue to celebrate in style. This is will also be one of the first chances to see a DC story from now ex Marvel man Brian Michael Bendis! More details here.
If you have Action Comics on standing order with us both of these items will be held for you. If you'd not like one or the other please just drop us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can adjust the order. Alternatively, if you'd like more than one copy of either of these landmark releases or need them adding to your order as a one-off again just let us know.
Right and that's all she wrote,
Until next time.
Andrew & Shaun @ Gosh!