The Gosh! Authority 30.08.17
Hope you all enjoyed the final bank holiday of the summer! Just a reminder that due to the holiday weekend, this week's comics will be out on the shelves a little later than normal as we'll only be receiving them on Wednesday morning. Hopefully we'll have them out by lunchtime Wednesday, but keep an eye on our Twitter and Facebook, where we'll announce as soon as they're on the shelf.
Great kids book launch this Friday: Katherina Manolessou will be here to launch her new Frances Lincoln picture book Look For Ladybird in Plant City from 7-9pm. It's a beautiful book, and we'll also have copies of her previous title T-Veg to boot. More details here.
Then on Saturday we'll be helping celebrate Doctor Who Comics Day with Doctor scribes Paul Cornell and James Peaty in to sign from 4-5pm (plus possibly some other special guests!) More details here.
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
Nick Cave: Mercy On Me GN
Writer / Artist: Reinhard Kleist
One of music's most electrifying figures gets the graphic biography treatment (a Christmas list release if ever there was one) from Reinhard Kleist. Kleist's previous title Johnny Cash: I See A Darkness sits nicely as a companion piece to this, Cash and Cave sharing a certain morbidity and grey morality. Kleist's biographies are a real joy to read, unflinching in the portrayal of their subjects, and unafraid to use the tools and tricks of the medium to take us into expressionist territory, avoiding the "block of text and a picture" tropes that make so many graphic biographies stiff and dull. He's unafraid of using the storytelling toolbox that only comics possesses, which is pretty exciting given the subject is as innately fascinating as Cave
Try it if you like: Johnny Cash: I See A Darkness / Babys In Black / Castro
Driving Short Distances HC
Writer / Artist: Joff Winterhart
Publisher: Jonathan Cape
The Costa award-nominated Winterhart is back with his new graphic novel, a study of masculinity, depression and male communication (or the lack thereof). It's the tale of a young man who comes back to his home town after a breakdown, and the rejuvenating friendship he forges with his new employer, a large character of a man in every sense, whose bluster and bravado mask the loneliness of his life. Sad, touching and often very funny, this is looking to be one of the books of the year.
Try it if you like: Days of Bagnold Summer / Hate / Tamara Drewe
Black Racer And Shilo Norman Special #1
Writer: Reginald Hudlin
Artist: Denys Cowan, Bill Sienkiewicz
Darkseid Special #1
Writer: Mark Evanier, Paul Levitz
Artist: Scott Kolins, Phil Hester
Two more of DC's Kirby tributes in the week that sees the celebration of what would have been his 100th birthday. First up it's a tense chase between Shilo Norman - who has taken up the mantle of Mister Miracle - and the unrelenting Black Racer (aka Death). Then the lord of Apokolips himself gets the spotlight treatment as he deals with the aftermath of an escape from the orphanage of Granny Goodness. We miss you, Jack!
Try it if you like: Fourth World / The Kamandi Project / Jack Kirby!
Image+ Volume 2 #1 (Wytches The Bad Egg Part 1)
The monthly Image insider magazine relaunches, filled with it's usual crop of interviews and exclusive previews of upcoming titles. It also returns to being free with a copy of Previews (or £1.70 on its own). But most exciting of all, starting this issue is a serialised prelude to the next long-awaited series of Scott Snyder and Jock's super-creepy horror series Wytches! Get on board!
Try it if you like: Previews / Wytches / Image Comics
Other Side Special Edition HC
Writer: Jason Aaron
Artist: Cameron Stewart
Long out of print, Jason Aaron & Cameron Stewart's impressive Vertigo Vietnam War tale gets the deluxe hardcover treatment thanks to Image Comics. Using the POV of two soldiers - one American, one Vietnamese - it reveals the war in all of its messy, complex, morally complicated horror. This was Aaron's debut comics work, and he and Stewart sunk a good deal of research into the project, which is covered in the back-up material of this special edition. A must-have if you've never read it before.
Try it if you like: Full Metal Jacket / Platoon / Scalped
Now Playing HC
Writer / Artist: Alexandre Clerisse
A fun curiousity: a kind of Where's Wally for film buffs. Each of the 12 double-paged spreads in this oversized board book is devoted to a particular director, crammed with characters, props and places from their films. A key follows each piece, identifying all of the references. It's probably better demonstrated than described, so here you go!
Try it if you like: Where's Wally / Movies / Empire Magazine
Doctor Who The Lost Dimension Alpha #1
Writer: Cavan Scott, George Mann, Chris Bolson
Artist: Rachael Stott, Pasquale Qualano, Klebs, J.B. Bastos
Doctor Who Comics Day kicks off a multi-Doctor crossover with this Alpha issue before weaving it's story over three months through all four ongoing series (Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, and Twelfth Doctor comics). A hungry interdimensional void has broken through into our universe, and Doctors Nine thru Twelve need to band together to face down the menace.
Try it if you like: Doctor Who The Ninth Doctor / Doctor Who The Tenth Doctor / Doctor Who The Eleventh Doctor / Doctor Who The Twelfth Doctor
ALSO OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- Batman Rebirth Deluxe Edition Volume 1 HC - A fancy-pants hardcover collection of the first three Rebirth TPs.
- Bullseye The Columbian Connection TP - Collecting Ed Brisson & Guillermo Sanna's fun take on the notorious assassin.
- Calla Cthulhu TP - All-ages take on Lovecraft lore from Evan Dorkin and Sarah Dyer!
- Deadman By Kelley Jones The Complete Collection TP - Any collection of Kelley Jones work is a good collection, but his desiccated Deadman is particularly good.
- Deadpool Vs The Punisher TP - Pretty much what it says on the tin!
- Doctor Strange The Punisher Magic Bullets TP - Man, the Punisher sure gets around.
- Dregs Volume 1 TP - Raymond Chandler by way of Ironweed as a homeless man tries to solve a series of murders taking place in his community.
- Generations Hawkeye And Hawkeye #1 - A time-displaced Kate Bishop teams up with the young Clint Barton.
- James Bond Moneypenny #1 - Former field agent, MI6 secretary and bodyguard to M: not someone to mess with!
- Jupiter's Legacy Volume 2 TP - Collecting the second arc of Mark Millar & Frank Quitely's superhero saga.
- Lucy & Andy Neanderthal The Stone Cold Age HC - A new volume of Jeffrey Brown's stone age kids comic!
- Mercury Heat Volume 2 TP - The second arc of Kieron Gillen's sci-fi action series, with a Crossed twist!
- Mystery Knight GN - With season seven now over why not fill the void with this new graphic novel set in the Game of Thrones world.
- Old Guard Volume 1 Opening Fire TP - Greg Rucka and Leandro Fernandez's action-packed story of near-immortal soldiers hiding among us gets its first collection.
- Providence Act 3 HC - The third and final collection of Alan Moore's landmark Lovecraftian series.
- Secret Empire #10 (Of 10) - The end of what, despite the controversy, has been one of the most consistently enjoyable event series in ages.
- Star Wars Jedi Of The Republic Mace Windu #1 (Of 5) - Mace Windu in action at the dawn of the Clone Wars!
- Sun Bakery Fresh Collection TP - A collection of Corey Lewis' kinetic, eclectic stories.
- Unstoppable Wasp Volume 1 Unstoppable TP - It's been cancelled, but don't let that stop you buying this collection of the whip-smart series starring Nadia Pym!
Have a great week, folks!
Andrew & Shaun