The Gosh! Authority 19.07.17
You know us: we love the Thought Bubble festival. Each year we partner up with Leeds' world-class comics festival to bring guests to London, and we're very excited to announce that this year we'll be playing host to James Stokoe (Orc Stain, Aliens Dead Orbit) and Marley Zarcone (Shade the Changing Girl, Effigy)! James and Marley will be here Friday, September 22nd, from 6-7pm, so mark your diaries now! More details here.
And while we're talking about James Stokoe, feast your eyes on this bookplate we have coming up for the TP of Aliens: Dead Orbit, James' brilliant xenomorph miniseries that's serialising as we speak. Due out mid-November, the Gosh! Exclusive Aliens: Dead Orbit TP Bookplate Edition is available to preorder now, in-store or online.
The Lakes Festival is another favourite of ours, a celebration of comics that takes over the lakes District town of Kendal. They have a terrific line-up of guests this year this year from 13-15th October, including Sergio Aragones, Jason, Jillian & Mariko Tamaki, Stan Sakai & many, many more. And we're lucky enough to be working with the festival to bring you another of their guests, the one and only Chip Zdarsky! Chip will be here on Monday October 16th signing from 6-7pm and then, after a brief shop closure, we'll be joined at 7.30pm by Kieron Gillen for an "In Conversation" session covering Chip's work and career. More details here!
Our Steve's semi regular event, Process returns this month as he is joined this coming Wednesday (the 19th) by comics historian Guy Lawley, who will take all in attendance on an exploration of comics colouring technique and theory from their earliest years. It kicks off at 7.30pm, seats available on a first-come first-served basis, so get here early! More details here.
HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
HP LOVECRAFT HOUND & STORIES TP TANABE
Writer/Artist: Gou Tanabe
Publisher: Dark Horse
Need something to fill the hole left in the wake of Moore and Burrows' acclaimed Providence series ending? Look no further. This marks prominent manga artist Gou Tanabe's first English language publication, and the moody and evocative visuals on display showcase why it was more than worth the wait. Tanabe adapts three of H. P. Lovecraft's original stories to startling effect. A pair of decadent young men pursue the abhorrent thrill of grave robbing, a German submarine's crew is driven mad by the call of an underwater temple and an explorer in the Arabian Desert discovers a hideous city older than mankind. Lovecraft's tales are filled with a constant unease, a bubbling dread just below the surface, a sense you're seeing things just out of the corner of your eye, lurking in the deepest shadows. Tanabe's detailed, deep black ink work is perhaps the perfect combination to these tales.
Try it if you like: Providence / Uzumaki / The Southern Reach Trilogy
BATMAN '66 MEETS THE LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #1
Writer: Lee Allred
Artist: Michael Allred
Any week with new Allred is always a happy one here at Gosh! and this week we get a book from THREE Allreds! Q: Does it get any better? A: Nope! The latest offering in the Batman '66 Meets... series sees the dynamic duo join forces with the Legion of Superheroes. The time-travelling criminal known as Universo is running wild throughout history so the super powered kids from the 30th century head back to the 60's to enlist the aid of the Boy Wonder, Robin. But where's Batman we hear you ask? Well, the caped crusader is on the hunt for his hard boiled nemesis Egghead, who has fled to the far flung reaches of the future. A time twisted tale of the most bright, bold and bombastic nature Batman has ever seen. Whip smart, fun writing plus cover to cover Allred beauty. The swinging 60's never looked so darn good!
Try it if you like: Bug The Adventures of Forager / Silver Surfer / Batman Elmer Fudd
GENERATION GONE #1
Writer: Ales Kot
Artist: Andre Lima Araujo
It'll be one day shy of a full calendar year since the last Ales Kot written comic hit stands when Generation Gone lands in stores and boy have we missed him. Reinvigorated and back in a huge way, Generation Gone sits comfortably alongside Kot's best work. With Andre Lima Arujo on art (who you may know from his recent Wicked + Divine one shot or the criminally underrated Avengers A.I. series) this is one of the best looking books around, period. The super clean line work and emotive character acting at play reminds us of Frank Quitely with just a hint of Kenneth Rocafort. The story is kind of American Ultra by way of We Can Never Go Home, set in a near future USA reeling from the all too real effects of the present day. One of the most ambitious and confident genre comics of the year.
Try it if you like: We Can Never Go Home / Zero / The End of The F***ing World
ASTONISHING X-MEN #1
Writer: Charles Soule
Artist: Jim Cheung
We just don't understand how Charles Soule finds the time to sleep as he takes on the writing duties of his latest Marvel project whilst, you know, also running his actual real life law firm. Featuring a line up and set up that are excitingly close to Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force run. In the current roster of revitalised X-books, X-Men Blue is the the young teen hero book, X-Men Gold fills the role of old guard veteran X heroes and now Astonishing is the clandestine team taking on the threats no one else can. The book is going to feature an all star cast of artists: Jim Cheung graces the pages of issue one with some jaw dropping work, with Mike Deodato and Ed McGuinness taking the lead in two and three respectively. Marvel really have got an X-Men book for everyone now.
Try it if you like: Uncanny X-Force / Old Man Logan / Death Of Wolverine
JAM IN THE BAND GN
Writer/Artist: Robin Enrico
Publisher: Alternative Comics
We love a good band story. The artistic and personal intensity of life in a band is a rich mine for dramatic gold, and Enrico's tale of all-girl punk band Pitch Girl looks like a solid bet. From the early, hopeful days when everyone in the band works toward a common cause, through the highs of tasting success, and then the almost inevitable tensions that begin to arise from the clash between the personal and the professional, we follow the rise and fall of Pitch Girl through interviews, press clippings, documentary footage, fliers and music videos. Give us a novel way to tell a familiar story and we're sold!
Try it if you like: Never Goodnight / Band For Life / Jem & the Holograms
GOOD EARTH GN
Writers: Pearl S Buck & Nick Bertozzi
Artist: Nick Bertozzi
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
The daughter of missionaries in early 20th Century China, Pearl S. Buck's writings gave the West an unparalleled view into the lives of ordinary Chinese. Her greatest success came with The Good Earth, the tale of a peasant family living in the last days of the Qing dynasty: their hardships and struggles amidst the economic and political ructions of the time. Nick Bertozzi, an old indie comics stalwart who has made a nice career for himself in literary adaptation and non-fiction narrative, brings all his skills to bear adapting this classic.
Try it if you like: Shackleton: Antarctic Odyssey / His Dream of Skyland / The Grapes of Wrath
Writer: Grace Ellis
Artist: Shae Beagle & Kate Leth
Lumberjanes co-creator Grace Ellis is back with a new fantasy series chronicling the adventures of Julie, a struggling barista in a world where mythological creatures are just ordinary folks. But on top of her work woes, fraught romantic life and mood-related lycanthropy, Julie, along with her centaur pal Chester, finds herself being drawn into a world of conspiracy and adventure. And for added Lumberjanes-related kicks, the one and only Kate Leth is along for the ride, drawing a back-up strip for the first story arc!
Try it if you like: Brave Chef Brianna / Lumberjanes / Power Up
A-Z MARVEL MONSTERS HC
Writer & Artist: Various
A mad combination of ABC book with Marvel monster art (M is for Mangog!) from the likes of Arthur Adams, Mike Allred, Chris Bachalo, John Cassaday, Chris Samnee and Walter Simonson, combined with classic story reprints drawn by that master of monsters, Jack Kirby!
Try it if you like: Monsters / Jack Kirby / Education
BLACK EYED PEAS PRESENTS MASTERS OF THE SUN: THE ZOMBIE CHRONICLES HC
Writer: will.i.am & Benjamin Jackendoff
Artist: Damion Scott
Uhhhh...so it turns out will.i.am (of Black Eyed Peas and The Voice fame) is something of a comics fan. So much so, in fact, that he's co-written an original graphic novel (along with the wonderfully named Benjamin Jackendoff) featuring what is variously described as a "deeply personal story" and "a powerful social allegory in the form of a new movement". The story? An alien God attacks Los Angeles and turns residents into zombies. This turn of events sees hip-hop fan Zulu-X and his crew take on an ancient order — and attempt to settle an old score. Powerful stuff!
Try it if you like: The Black Eyed Peas / Empire of the Dead / New Movements
ALSO OF NOTE THIS WEEK
- AMELIA COLE OMNIBUS TP - Collecting all 30 issues of the magic-wielding heroine's adventures into one chunky tome.
- ART OF STEVEN UNIVERSE HC - Behind the scenes with character designs and concept art for the popular Cartoon Network show.
- BACKSTAGERS TP VOL 01 - Collecting the recent YA series, the first issue of which won in the Best Single Issue From A Mainstream Publisher category at the 2017 Prism Awards!
- BATMAN TMNT ADVENTURES TP - The animated series worlds collide! Holy pepperoni pizza, Batman!
- BATMAN TMNT TP VOL 01 - The gritty, real-world series collide! Holy ninjas, Batman!
- CURSE WORDS TP VOL 01 - The first five issues of the crazy fantasy series from Charles Soule and Ryan Browne, collected.
- ETHER TP VOL 01 DEATH OF THE LAST GOLDEN BLAZE - Collecting the first story arc of Matt Kindt & David Rubin's dimension-hopping saga. Highly recommended!
- INHUMANS VS X-MEN TP - Inhuman fight X-Man! X-Man fight Inhuman! FIIIGHT!
- JAMES BOND KILL CHAIN #1 (OF 6) - A new story by Andy Diggle and Luca Casalanguida.
- KILL ALL MONSTERS OMNIBUS HC VOL 01 - Collecting together the complete monster-battling webcomic.
- LAZARUS X PLUS 66 #1 (OF 6) - The first of six self contained stories set to expand the incredible world of Lazarus. Featuring a stellar revolving roster of artists with Steve Lieber at the helm here.
- LEOPARD FROM LIME STREET SC - The Buster adventure classic in one large and lovely paperback. Another gem from Rebellion's recently purchased IPC library.
- MANGA IN THEORY AND PRACTICE HC - Hirohiko Araki, the mastermind behind the beloved manga series JoJo's Bizarre Adventure goes in depth about his creative process.
- MIDNIGHTER AND APOLLO TP - Steve Orlando's Midnighter run was fantastic! Adding Apollo to the mix just made things better.
- OVERSTREET COMIC BOOK PRICE GUIDE VOL 47 - Find out if you can finally retire on that stack of X-Force #1's you've been stockpiling with the release of the latest price guide!
- SCALPED TP BOOK 01 - Aaron and Guera's seminal crime book gets the deluxe softcover treatment this week. Never read it? Or just need an excuse to take a trip back to the reservation? Then this 11 issue beast of a book is the one you want!
- TALES OF ZESTIRIA GN VOL 01 - The long awaited manga adaption of the smash hit JRPG series.
- US AVENGERS TP VOL 01 - Al Ewing writes the most fun Marvel books for our money and US Avengers is no exception! If you've enjoyed his run on Ultimates then this is a must read.
- VALERIAN DELUXE HC VOL 2 & 3 - With the Luc Besson movie adaption a matter of weeks away there's never been a better time to catch up on this beautiful work of science fiction.
And finally, if you're an aspiring comics creator who has a killer idea that you think would be suitable for a graphic novel and a tv show, well we're happy tp say your time has come! Myriad Editions and Roughcut Television have put the call out for a graphic novel concept that could also be adapted into a television show. Myriad have a distinguished track record in GN publishing, and Roughcut are the production team behind shows such as Cuckoo and the BAFTA-nominated People Just Do Nothing, so this is the real deal. You can find more details here.
Ciao for now!
Andrew & Shaun.