In the grand old tradition of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen releases past we’re having a big ol’ signing here at Gosh! That’s right, from 2pm ’til 6pm on Saturday the 23rd of June we are inviting you to come queue around the block to meet Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill and collectively annoy our thus far very lovely neighbours. By that day The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Century 2009 will have been out for a whole week, being the much anticipated final piece of the third volume, following 1910 and 1969. I’ve already read it and it’s nuts. Totally nuts. You are in for a ridiculous treat. There’s a wee preview here.
Moore and O’Neill will be signing these three books PLUS ALSO the recently-available-in-the-UK Black Dossier. Back in 2007 when DC were publishing the book, they were originally going to include a 7” tie-in single which for various reasons (outlined by our pals at FPI) never happened. The record became a mythical memory that languished in forlorn internet messageboards – until now. With this new Knockabout edition comes some excellent news: the 7” doo-wop single by Eddie Enrico and His Hawaiian Hot-Shots is actually happening.
“Who did the music? It was me and Tim Perkins, pretending to be a 50s American rock and roll band,” said Moore. “I’ve discovered, at this late stage in my life, that I am, in fact, an Elvis impersonator. But you’ll have to wait and listen for yourself, you know?
The two League-themed pop songs are Immortal Love and Home With You (on sides A and B respectively) and you can only get them here in the shop. Here’s how:
The record comes free with the hardcover edition of Black Dossier which retails for £22.50 (the book also comes in a softcover for £14.99 but you’ll be missing out on the 7”). If you buy the hardcover now you’ll receive a token for the record which is released on the day of the signing. Don’t worry if you can’t make it in for the signing itself – there’s a one month window for collection so make sure you can pop in by the 23rd of July. Sadly there are strictly NO mail orders on this one, and the record is not available outside the UK. Purchase can only be made at the shop. All of this is, of course, while stocks last.
But wait, there’s more! Remember those limited edition mini-prints we were handing out with Century 1969 and 1910? The third print with all new art by O’Neill is here, printed, and will be available free with a copy of 2009 for £7.99. Here’s what it looks like:
(If you weren’t around for the previous mini-prints we are sold out of 1969 but still have a handful of the first one which come free with a purchase of 1910.)
Lastly, here’s a video of the great Kevin O’Neill talking about Century: 2009 and future League of Extraodinary Gentlemen books including the upcoming Heart of Ice starring Jenny Nemo.
If you’d like to reserve a copy (limited to one per person) or have any questions please send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Alan Moore. Kevin O’Neill. June 23rd, 2pm – 6pm.
(As ever, these signings are always very busy. Get there early. Bring friends. Bring snacks. If you run out of stuff to read we are here to help.)
UPDATE: We’d like to clarify a few points here just because we had a lot of questions regarding the signing and the Black Dossier vinyl release. Ready? Here we go:
– The limit for the number of items to be signed is 4, and Alan & Kevin will only be signing the three volumes of League Century and the Black Dossier (HC or SC). You can get any combination of those 4 books signed.
– You do not need to buy the copies from us. You are more than welcome to bring your own copies of all four books.
– There is a purchasing limit of one copy per person of the Black Dossier HC with the vinyl. We are doing this so that as many people as possible get a copy, and as few copies as possible wind up on auction sites. This edition will still be available after the signing, but if you’re worried about us running out you can drop us an email to reserve a copy for collection.
– There is no limit on the number of copies of 2009 with free print that you can have.
– The Black Dossier HC with vinyl is an in-store exclusive, but we can do mail order on copies of League Century 2009 with the limited book plate. If you arranging someone to collect for you, please organise them to make payment on the day. We cannot legally take card payments for items that will be collected by anyone other than the cardholder.
– I know some people are upset that they can’t bring down other books to be signed, but the fact is that Alan & Kevin are coming along as a creative team to help celebrate the release of the final part of League Century, as well as the UK release of The Black Dossier.
– We know from experience that these signings tend to run over, and Alan & Kevin do not have time afterward to sign any extra stock for us, so unfortunately we cannot take any reservations for signed books.
– On the day of the signing we will ticket the queue as it builds, and at some point we will cap the queue. This means that the early bird catches the LOEG creator, and also that your place in the queue is held should you need to run to the loo, get drinks, etc. We want as many people as possible to meet Alan & Kevin and will try and manage things to ensure that. But get here early to avoid disappointment, because once the queue is capped we won’t make any exceptions.
– Bring sunscreen. And an umbrella.
– And have a good time! Remember, first and foremost this is an opportunity to meet two brilliant creators who are also both thoroughly lovely people!